Kiryas Joel, NY - Investigation Continuing As NYSP Arrests Housekeeper For Stealing Jewelry From KJ Homes

Published on: May 2, 2018 03:00 PM

Kiryas Joel, NY - A 30 year old Central Valley woman was arrested over the weekend for stealing jewelry from multiple homes in Kiryas Joel.

The New York State Police said that Maria Caudillo worked as a housekeeper for various village residents and stole jewelry from several of her employers.  She was arrested by the NYSP’s Monroe Bureau of Criminal Investigation on April 29th and charged with multiple counts of grand larceny in the third degree.

Trooper Steven Nevel of the NYSP said that several complaints had been filed against Caudillo in recent months.  One Kiryas Joel resident said in July that Caudillo had been working for her for approximately one month when she started to suspect that the housekeeper was stealing from her.  The resident placed $130 in cash in a playroom drawer the night before Caudillo came to clean and said that the money was missing after Caudillo went home.

Police who interviewed Caudillo told her that her employer did not want her arrested but just wanted her money returned.

“She said she didn’t take anything but she pulled $70 out of her pocket and offered to the officers, telling them that was all she had,” Trooper Nevel told VIN News.

According to a report filed in November, a village resident said that she suspected Caudillo of stealing unspecified jewelry from her home.  Another Kiryas Joel woman called police in December advising them that she had heard that Caudillo had been stealing from homes in Kiryas Joel that she had been hired to clean.

A January 15th police report had a village resident charging that Caudillo had taken a wedding band, engagement ring, diamond bracelet and watch from her bedroom jewelry box.  Police said that all four items were gold and that the total value of the two rings and the bracelet was $3,800.

Checking a local pawn shop, police discovered that Caudillo had gotten $65 for a gold rose-shaped pin last June.  Reviewing a database of pawn shops in the area, investigators learned that Caudillo had sold eight other gold items: two engagement rings, two bracelets, two rings and two watches.  Officers showed photographs of the pawned items to the woman who filed the complaint in January and she positively identified her missing items from the pictures.

Caudillo was arraigned in Town of Monroe Court and remanded to the Orange County jail in lieu of $30,000 cash/$60,000 secured bond.

Trooper Nevel said that the investigation is ongoing and asked anyone who hired Caudillo to contact them at 845-782-8497.

Plano, TX - A suburban Dallas teenager accused of planning a mass shooting at a mall inspired by the Islamic State terror group has been charged with terrorism. The... Jerusalem - Municipalities throughout Israel are banning the bonfires that mark the minor holiday of Lag b’Omer in response to official warnings about high...

May 02, 2018 at 03:02 PM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

May 02, 2018 at 03:05 PM Michel Says:

Maasim b'chol yom. If they dont steal it themselves, their boyfriends come back at night. If shes illegal, she should be deported after making restitution. If shes lega, she should rot in jail.

May 02, 2018 at 04:37 PM yamsar Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

Thieves who are treated well still steal. The jails are full of legal us citizens who commited all sorts of theft. Not one word of your comment makes any sense.

May 02, 2018 at 05:05 PM He’s a fake Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

Idiotic comment, not surprising from someone imitating someone elses’s screen name. Why are so many snowflake liberals dishonest as well as stupid?

May 02, 2018 at 05:03 PM Vvvvv Says:

I just can’t understand how people can be stupid enough to leave cash and jewelry around when a goyishe worker is roaming around in the house freely!

May 02, 2018 at 06:05 PM Anonymous Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

you soine satmar, how do you know they arent trating good...wont bother telling how my wife and friends treat then...not worth it

May 02, 2018 at 07:23 PM Anonymous Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

Racist what u are

May 02, 2018 at 07:38 PM Liepa Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

'Satmar treat workers better next time', where in the article did you glean that from, shoitah !!!

May 02, 2018 at 07:45 PM Harris Says:

I am one of the few Yehudim in the USA,who has owned his home for over 40 years, and during this time (with one exception), I've done all of the cleaning of my home, including vacuuming the carpets, washing the linoleum floors, cleaning the bathrooms, etc.. The one time that I decided to try some housekeepers (recommended by Angie's List), from Brazil, I was very sorry. They wrecked a device on the bathtub, which lets the water stay full in the tub, scratched the walls on my bathtub, and started to remove (without my permission), a cold air return. I was so glad when they left my house, and I never invited them back. When I complained to Angie's List, and gave them a not so nice review, the owner of the cleaning service lied, and told Angie's List that she was never in my home. At first, the Angie's List representative seemed to doubt my story; however, when I faxed her a copy of my cancelled check, she changed her tune. P.S. It is good exercise to clean one's own home, plus you don't have to worry about your cleaning personnel stealing from you.

May 02, 2018 at 07:54 PM Benzahav Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

Oh what a stupid comment probably this will win the dumbest comment posted on vin in 2018

May 02, 2018 at 08:56 PM rachelw Says:

Harris Says:

I’m with you. Great workout. Though to be fair, not everyone’s up to it. Was always sorry when I tried hired help. They don’t give a flip about a job well done. Waste of my time, could’ve done it better and faster myself. Last straw was when she pretended to be cleaning my bathroom while sneaking into my closet and helping herself to my best skirts! Plus some. Had enough. Pray for strength to continue doing my own thing into old age. And yes, leaving valuables within reach is utter foolishness.

May 03, 2018 at 01:10 AM a-believer Says:

For those of us who are busy with our children and cooking it is almost impossible to do all the cleaning ourselves! You must watch your cleaning women, keep your valuables locked up at all times and install cameras if you have to!!

May 03, 2018 at 07:41 AM Anonymous Says:

Vvvvv Says:

Or leaving their lids with them while they're gone.

May 03, 2018 at 12:28 AM lazy-boy Says:

I, like #9, had to hire a house cleaning lady to help. She broke a pilot on the stove, cracked the enamel on the bathtub and cracked a shower head. She cost me more in fixing than her cleaning costs.

Another time we had a cleaner who stole can goods and what ever....

Bottom line: don't let cleaning people out of your sight!

May 03, 2018 at 07:39 AM Anonymous Says:

triumphinwhitehouse Says:

Satmar treat workers better next time or don't hire illegals.

Treat them better? Huh? As in...what are you talking about, pray tell.

May 03, 2018 at 09:08 AM GMalka Says:

Harris Says:

Your comment inspired me to get off the computer and clean the bathroom after posting this.