Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Kiryas Joel, NY - KJ Boy Dies After Being Poisoned By Toxic Product, Possibly Mistaken For Chocolate Syrup

Published on: May 16, 2018 09:08 PM
Change text size Text Size  

Kiryas Joel, NY - A four year old Kiryas Joel boy died Tuesday morning after being apparently poisoned by a common household cleaning agent.

A law enforcement source who spoke to VIN News on condition of anonymity said that Yitzchak Menashe Schwartz was in the kitchen of his home when he came into contact with Whink Rust Stain Remover, whose brown plastic bottle and white top may have looked like a bottle of chocolate syrup to the preschooler. 

It is unknown if the child ingested or inhaled the chemicals and he was rushed to Orange Regional Medical Center in Middletown before being transported by helicopter to Westchester Medical Center for more advanced treatment.

According to the source, doctors identified extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), a heart lung bypass system, as the best course of treatment for the boy, but his vital organs shut down before the hospital could assemble the large team of caregivers required for the complex procedure to attach the child to the machinery which could have given him a 60 percent chance of survival.

Advertisement:

Recommended for removing rust stains in white sinks, white toilets and colorfast fabrics and colors, Whink Rust Stain Remover was voted into the Environmental Working Group’s “Hall of Shame” of toxic household cleaners because of its potentially harmful or fatal side effects, as reported by CBS News (https://cbsn.ws/2GoPagl). 

The product’s label warns consumers “Danger: may be fatal or cause permanent damage” and to “keep out of reach of children.”

Whink Rust Stain Remover contains hydrofluoric acid which, according to the Centers for Disease Control, can easily penetrate the skin and get into body tissue, where it can affect major internal organs and be fatal. 

The American Journal of Industrial Medicine reported nine fatal cases of occupational poisoning over an 11 year period, all of which were caused by unsafe work practices.

Rust-Oleum, which makes a full line of Whink cleaning products, was not immediately available to comment on the boy’s death.



More of today's headlines

Washington - The FBI is pursuing 1,000 investigations into suspected "lone wolf" militants and another 1,000 into "domestic terrorists," FBI director Christopher Wray... Las Vegas - Witness accounts of gunfire, chaos, bloody bodies and desperate bids to survive last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas emerged Wednesday in police reports...

 

Total17

Read Comments (17)  —  Post Yours »

1

 May 16, 2018 at 09:14 PM Anonymous Says:

Hashem yarecheim!

2

 May 16, 2018 at 09:15 PM PaulinSaudi Says:

How very sad.

3

 May 16, 2018 at 10:30 PM Aron1 Says:

Boruch Dayan HaEmes.
Please, think before you post.

4

 May 17, 2018 at 12:04 AM adar29 Says:

Baruch Dayan HaEmet

5

 May 17, 2018 at 12:17 AM zshine Says:

They must change that bottle! To a small child, it does indeed look like chocolate syrup! Years ago, an Israeli bochur took sugar from the shul's kitchen cabinet and added it to his coffee. His liver shut down and he died before he could be flown to Europe to receive a liver transplant. It wasn't sugar; it was rat poison. In a separate incident, a powder was assumed to be baby formula, but it wasn't!
Adults! Please! 1) Poisons must be clearly labeled. 2) Poisons should never be left on surfaces designed for food, like kitchen tables and counters. This is especially difficult during the run up to Pesach, but a little caution prevents injuries and saves lives of loved ones!

6

 May 17, 2018 at 07:13 AM Secular Says:

Heartbreaking

7

 May 17, 2018 at 08:30 AM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #3  
Aron1 Says:

Boruch Dayan HaEmes.
Please, think before you post.

Why must you post such an accusatory comment?

8

 May 17, 2018 at 08:30 AM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #3  
Aron1 Says:

Boruch Dayan HaEmes.
Please, think before you post.

These bottles should all have locks.

9

 May 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #5  
zshine Says:

They must change that bottle! To a small child, it does indeed look like chocolate syrup! Years ago, an Israeli bochur took sugar from the shul's kitchen cabinet and added it to his coffee. His liver shut down and he died before he could be flown to Europe to receive a liver transplant. It wasn't sugar; it was rat poison. In a separate incident, a powder was assumed to be baby formula, but it wasn't!
Adults! Please! 1) Poisons must be clearly labeled. 2) Poisons should never be left on surfaces designed for food, like kitchen tables and counters. This is especially difficult during the run up to Pesach, but a little caution prevents injuries and saves lives of loved ones!

yes teacher...

10

 May 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM Phineas Says:

Reply to #7  
Anonymous Says:

Why must you post such an accusatory comment?

Because some comments in the past have been callous.

11

 May 17, 2018 at 11:23 AM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #10  
Phineas Says:

Because some comments in the past have been callous.

and antagonizing everyone early is supposed to help?

12

 May 17, 2018 at 01:00 PM Butterfly Says:

I put locks on all cabinets with poisons when my child was born. It is a pain but well worth it!!

13

 May 17, 2018 at 07:20 PM Katanti Says:

Reply to #3  
Aron1 Says:

Boruch Dayan HaEmes.
Please, think before you post.

Please explain what you mean

14

 May 17, 2018 at 07:32 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #5  
zshine Says:

They must change that bottle! To a small child, it does indeed look like chocolate syrup! Years ago, an Israeli bochur took sugar from the shul's kitchen cabinet and added it to his coffee. His liver shut down and he died before he could be flown to Europe to receive a liver transplant. It wasn't sugar; it was rat poison. In a separate incident, a powder was assumed to be baby formula, but it wasn't!
Adults! Please! 1) Poisons must be clearly labeled. 2) Poisons should never be left on surfaces designed for food, like kitchen tables and counters. This is especially difficult during the run up to Pesach, but a little caution prevents injuries and saves lives of loved ones!

What you say need not have been said since it is self-evident. I think that's why Aoron1 warned to think before you post. Your comment doesn't in a any way help the parents of this child who are most likely going through a horrible and torturous bout of regret, blaming themselves for a tragedy that according to you could have been avoided. Yet, on hindsight it was bashert, and therefore the regrets are misplaced and any self-blame totally unwarranted!

15

 May 17, 2018 at 07:33 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #12  
Butterfly Says:

I put locks on all cabinets with poisons when my child was born. It is a pain but well worth it!!

Kudos to you! I guess you're just so perfect that you don't make mistakes. Be very careful!

16

 May 17, 2018 at 07:35 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #11  
Anonymous Says:

and antagonizing everyone early is supposed to help?

Please stop belabouring the point!

17

 May 18, 2018 at 01:17 AM zshine Says:

Reply to #14  
Anonymous Says:

What you say need not have been said since it is self-evident. I think that's why Aoron1 warned to think before you post. Your comment doesn't in a any way help the parents of this child who are most likely going through a horrible and torturous bout of regret, blaming themselves for a tragedy that according to you could have been avoided. Yet, on hindsight it was bashert, and therefore the regrets are misplaced and any self-blame totally unwarranted!

Your misguided assumptions: 1) What is self-evident to you is self-evident to all. 2) Only comments that can help the parents are appropriate. 3) I blame the parents. 4) All regrets are misplaced and all self-blame is totally unwarranted.

18

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:
Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!