Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Airmont, NY - Unsafe Charger Placement Potentially Deadly Says FD After Lipa’s Narrow Escape

Published on: June 4, 2018 09:30 AM
Change text size Text Size  
The burnt wireThe burnt wire

Airmont, NY - A well known figure in the Jewish entertainment industry is counting his blessings after surviving a house fire that is believed to have been ignited by aftermarket cell phone accessories.

The fire broke out in the Airmont home of Lipa Schmeltzer at 5:05 AM on the morning of May 30th.  Schmeltzer was sleeping with his iPhone charging in an outlet next to his bed, with a non-Apple brand cable and charger pushed up against the mattress.

Schmeltzer said that he woke up to find flames consuming his bed.  Screaming to alert his family members to the danger, Schmeltzer attempted to put out the fire, filling a negel vasser bowl with water and pouring it on the flames, before carrying his blanket and pillow to the back of the house and throwing them out a window, into the backyard. 

Schmeltzer and his family evacuated the house, calling 911 who responded to the scene within minutes.

Advertisement:

Captain Patrick McKiernan of the Tallman Fire Department noted that chargers placed directly next to flammable surfaces can be potentially deadly.

“They need proper ventilation or all the heat builds up,” McKiernan told VIN News.  “I was guilty of doing the same thing until recently. This is something that so many people do.”

Fire crews opened up the wall next to Schmeltzer’s bed to make sure that the flames had been completely extinguished.  McKiernan said that Schmeltzer’s mattress and box spring were completely destroyed by the flames.

“He is extremely, extremely lucky to be here,” said McKiernan.

Schmeltzer sustained minor bruises in his attempts to extinguish the fire and acknowledged that it would have been safer to leave the house with his family instead of trying to put out the flames on his own. 

the burnt mattressthe burnt mattress

He said that paramedics told him that he had much to be grateful for and that he bentshed Gomel after the incident.

“They said that no one escapes something like this without injury,” noted Schmeltzer, who said he did have working smoke detectors in his house.

Schmeltzer’s home synagogue, located on the far side of the house, sustained no damage in the blaze, which was brought under control fairly quickly. 

Kanex, the manufacturer of the charger, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the incident.



More of today's headlines

New York - People born in New York City who do not identify their gender as either male or female would have the option of choosing a third category for their birth... Jerusalem - Israel says it has delivered food, blankets and medicine to Guatemala after a volcano erupted there, killing at least 25 people. Israel's Foreign Ministry...

 

Total8

Read Comments (8)  —  Post Yours »

1

 Jun 04, 2018 at 10:32 AM yosher Says:

G-d bless Lipa and protect him.

2

 Jun 04, 2018 at 10:47 AM Lodzker Says:

I see he has a smartphone...

3

 Jun 04, 2018 at 09:41 AM Shvitzer Says:

Pleased to learn that it ended up with minimal damage,,,,,,
A WELL KNOWN FIGURE IN THE JEWISH ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY? IT SHOULD RATHER BE POINTED OUT THAT HE "WAS" a well known figure,
Since he had his mind twisted, such a shame, I used to enjoy his music, really really was MESAMEACH Yiddishe souls, unfortunately he took a wrong turn, but still looking forward for an album of his upon his return to the right path

4

 Jun 04, 2018 at 12:12 PM Anonymous Says:

The music industry is a dangerous bussiness especially for the feeble minded, sad that such talent was wasted , unfortunately hes so convinced that hes on the right path now, hes looking at the other side as un enlightened fools, lets hope that as he matures he can see where he went wrong

5

 Jun 04, 2018 at 12:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Don't blame the manufacturer.
He was a victim of his own stupidity and ignorance.
Had he received a decent half education with basic science as part of it he might not have been so stupid.

6

 Jun 04, 2018 at 02:56 PM lazy-boy Says:

cheap chargers seem to heat up more than the more expensive brand name ones. Test it your self : put you hand on the charger when it is charging. Is it hot? get rid of it!
Also if it is plugged in but not connected to a phone or device, is it warm? get rid of it!

7

 Jun 04, 2018 at 09:11 PM AuthenticSatmar Says:

Reply to #5  
Anonymous Says:

Don't blame the manufacturer.
He was a victim of his own stupidity and ignorance.
Had he received a decent half education with basic science as part of it he might not have been so stupid.

He graduated Columbia University, so stop spreading your stupid prejudice children comments.

8

 Jun 05, 2018 at 05:05 AM Shlomy Says:

Reply to #5  
Anonymous Says:

Don't blame the manufacturer.
He was a victim of his own stupidity and ignorance.
Had he received a decent half education with basic science as part of it he might not have been so stupid.

This is after graduating college..... he is already a enlightened Jew...

9

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:

Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!