Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Monroe, NY - Rabbi: Full Recoveries Expected For All Students In Bungalow Explosion/Fire

Published on: June 8, 2018 09:42 AM
Change text size Text Size  

Monroe, NY - All of the students injured in last night’s Monroe area bungalow explosion and fire are expected to make a full recovery, according to school officials.

As previously reported on VIN News, a two alarm fire broke out at approximately 12:15 AM last night following an explosion in a bungalow at Quaker Hill Cottages.  Multiple Orange County fire crews raced to the scene on Cromwell Road to battle the flames.

Rabbi Lipa Brennan, executive director of Yeshivas Novominsk, told VIN News that the students were twelfth graders from his school who had traveled upstate for their end of year graduation trip and were planning on spending Shabbos at the bungalow colony.

All of the students in the bungalow were able to escape the burning building on their own, said Rabbi Brennan, and had safely evacuated themselves from the bungalow by the time Hatzolah arrived on scene.

A total of twelve students were treated at area hospitals, which according to Rabbi Brennan was caused by a leak from a gas stove.

Advertisement:

Three of the teens were transported by Hatzolah to St. Anthony’s Hospital in nearby Warwick, where they were treated for minor injuries sustained after being struck by flying glass.

Six were taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.  The most seriously injured, a teen whose breathing was thought to be potentially compromised was airlifted by a Medivac helicopter to the hospital. His condition was determined to be less critical than initially thought, said Rabbi Brennan.

Four 18 year old students remain hospitalized in Westchester this morning.

“Thankfully it is not as dramatic as the new outlets reported,” Rabbi Brennan told VIN News.

All of the remaining students have returned to their homes in Brooklyn and Lakewood for the weekend.

In an email sent out by Yeshivas Novominsk, Rabbi Brennan said that the bungalow had been destroyed and thanked first responders for their efforts.

“Emergency services including Hatzolo, Chaverim & the various fire depts are to be commended for their swift response & professionalism in avoiding more serious injuries & loss of property,” wrote Rabbi Brennan.

Video below credit: Mark Lieb Rockland Video Productions



More of today's headlines

Boynton Beach, FL - Investigators say a baby found floating in the Atlantic Ocean was four to seven days old and had likely been in the water for less than one... Washington - President Donald Trump injected fresh drama into an already tense meeting of the Group of Seven major industrialized nations Friday, calling for Russia...

 

Total1

Read Comments (1)  —  Post Yours »

1

 Jun 08, 2018 at 10:09 AM Sammy Says:

Wishing all a complete recovery!

2

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:
Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!