Welcome, Guest! - or
Easy to remember!  »  VinNews.com

Borough Park, NY - Gowns And More Go Up In Flames As Fire Rips Through Dressmaker’s Shop In BP Home

Published on: July 3, 2018 12:50 PM
Change text size Text Size  
(Eli Wohl)(Eli Wohl)

Borough Park, NY - A two alarm fire ripped through a Borough Park home that was also the site a popular women’s tailoring business this morning, destroying an unknown amount of high end clothing and wedding gowns.

According to the FDNY the fire was caused by an air conditioner.

The blaze at 1109 57th Street was reported to the FDNY at 8:54 AM by the home’s alarm system. A pair of fire engines arrived on scene just two minutes later and all residents of the two story building were safely evacuated.

The flames were confined to the top floor of the building, home of Laura’s Place, an upscale dressmaker whose customers included many from the local Jewish community.  No damage has been reported at this time to the first floor and basement of the brick home which housed an Orthodox Jewish family.

Firefighters had the flames under control by 9:45 AM, with two firefighters suffering minor injuries.

Advertisement:


More of today's headlines

Brooklyn, NY - Dramatic video  shows two women flinching and trying in vain to flee as an awning crashes on top of them in New York City. NY1 television says... Brooklyn, NY - An off duty NYPD officer is under arrest after reportedly crashing into a car on Ocean Parkway while under the influence of alcohol and hitting a witness...

 

Total3

Read Comments (3)  —  Post Yours »

1

 Jul 03, 2018 at 02:03 PM Anonymous Says:

bh no injuries. my question is serious, how can an air conditioner be the cause of a fire?

2

 Jul 03, 2018 at 03:15 PM NJMoshe Says:

Reply to #1  
Anonymous Says:

bh no injuries. my question is serious, how can an air conditioner be the cause of a fire?

Yes, bh. But the plug from the air conditioner can overheat and due to old outdated electrical wiring can cause a fire. Mine overheated yesterday and tripped a breaker.
But was it legal to have a dress shop on the upper floor of a house?

3

 Jul 03, 2018 at 05:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Reply to #1  
Anonymous Says:

bh no injuries. my question is serious, how can an air conditioner be the cause of a fire?

How is an air conditioner run; by electricity. Could be an electrical fire from the unit or over heating of the compressor or other over heating

4

Sign-in to post a comment

Click here to sign-in.

Scroll Up
Advertisements:
Sell your scrap gold and broken jewelry and earn hard cash sell gold today!