Washington - Judge Halts Deportation, Threatens Sessions With Contempt

Published on: August 9, 2018 10:00 PM
By: AP
FILE - Immigration activists hold signs against family separation during a rally to protest against the Trump Administration's immigration policy outside the White House in Washington, U.S., June 30, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File PhotoFILE - Immigration activists hold signs against family separation during a rally to protest against the Trump Administration's immigration policy outside the White House in Washington, U.S., June 30, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo

Washington - A federal judge has halted a deportation in progress and threatened to hold Attorney General Jeff Sessions in contempt if the mother and daughter aren’t returned to the U.S.

U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan of Washington learned Thursday that the two were on a plane headed to Central America. He said any delay in bringing them back would be intolerable.

The judge said Sessions and Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen should argue why they shouldn’t be held in contempt of court if they failed to comply.

The woman — identified in court as Carmen — is a plaintiff in a lawsuit filed this week against the administration by the American Civil Liberties Union over efforts to prevent immigrants from seeking asylum due to domestic and gang violence in their home countries.

Jerusalem - At the beginning of August, Hadassah University Medical Center on Jerusalem’s Mount Scopus successfully performed knee surgery using a new coral-based... Alpine NJ - It was out of the frying pan and into the fire for a high ranking law enforcement official who was arrested today on drug charges. Palisades Interstate...

Aug 09, 2018 at 11:47 PM Yup Says:

If the ACLU (Americans with Contempt for Living United) is for it, it's BAD!

Aug 10, 2018 at 12:33 AM hashomer Says:

Contrary to American law and practice, ICE knowingly deported 2 people WHILE THEIR CASE WAS BEING CONSIDERED BY A FEDERAL JUDGE! The arrogance of the New Fuhrer, DOJ Jeff Secessions and ICE gestapo is right out of hitler's 1933 playbook. Its also a human rights violation. What does that great humanitarian Crazee Rudy or Constitutional shyster lawyer Dershowitz say? Watch the torchlight parades this weekend to find out...

Aug 10, 2018 at 05:12 AM chugibugi Says:

These TRAITOROUS leftist criminal judges need to be put on trial for treason and hung by their miserable necks

Aug 10, 2018 at 07:54 AM Educated Archy Says:

I do think the judges went too far but I do fell bad for the families . The one area I am not so pro trump is in his anti Mexican ideology . I am only against Latino immigration because if it's costs via social programs and added public school costs because integrating them cost a lot more . I make a financial argument not to let them in . especially nowadays with govt programs we can no longer exclaim give me your Hungary and your poor . When Our forefathers arrived at Ellis island they were on their own. No handouts from govt . I think they are still humans who are hard workers .

Aug 10, 2018 at 09:01 AM Anonymous Says:

hashomer Says:

Blah blah blah. Trump Derangement Syndrome. You are a sick puppy, and should be put out of your misery.

Aug 10, 2018 at 09:16 AM rachelw Says:

I don’t get it. Do these so-called asylum seekers need proof to back up their claims of domestic violence? What about gang violence? Virtually everyone, even gang members, can cite gang violence as reason for their great escape.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM hashomer Says:

Unless you didn't hear about it when you immigrated to the U.S. in steerage from the death and DP camps, the US operates with a CHECKS & BALANCES system which gives Judges oversight of the Executive Branch.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:17 AM Educated Archy Says:

hashomer Says:

Yup that's why we need to fill those benches with conservative judges. Its all a game and all politics. No real honest judges around

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM georgeg Says:

The problem I have is the term "domestic violence" is still vague. Does it mean her husband beat her? Or the police beat her?

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:36 AM Uneducated Archy Says:

You tell 'em...only libtard snowflakes should be bound by legal procedure...not Mein Leader and his underlings. They ARE the law.

Aug 10, 2018 at 11:46 AM Cixelsyd_Wnosanoy Says:

What is it with you guys? It seems that any news event that casts doubt on actions by the Trump administration drives you to personal attacks and venom.

In this case, the federal government acted blatantly unlawfully, and the Judge was clearly correct. I'm sure you would understand the issue if the immigrant mother and child were Jews escaping from anti-Semitism.

You appear to have no guiding principle other than reflexive defense of Trump and hatred of his critics. In that way, no exaggeration, you really are behaving like populist admirers of dictators past. Shameful, dangerous, and not exactly Torahdik.

Aug 10, 2018 at 01:18 PM Zilla Says:

Educated Archy Says:

Hey Mr. Educated: "Give me your Hungary?" Are Hungarians in some sort of trouble? Or did you mean hungry? Something tells me you wouldn't offer a hungry person a crumb from your beard. Here are questions for you to think about: Do you consider yourself a righteous man? If the people trying to immigrate were Jewish and facing prosecution and/or death, would you have the same response? In your opinion, would an educated man know the difference between hungry and Hungary or at least be able to turn on spell check? If my grandparents hadn't been allowed to take refuge into the U.S., they would've been murdered like the rest of their families. And you? Would you have the safe, comfortable life that you have if your ancestors had been barred from the U.S. (or Israel)?
My intent isn't to shame you, but it pains me that there are so many corrupt, high profile Jews not only bringing great shame to us but also throwing gas on the fire of antisemitism. Each of us must be responsible for our own behavior, and our behavior must -- above all other motives -- be guided by G-d's expectations. You may be a great scholar and I admit that I'm not, but I do know that both of us are falling short of His expectations. Such a shande!

Aug 10, 2018 at 01:44 PM Cixelsyd_Wnosanoy Says:

georgeg Says:

It's not vague at all. It means someone in her household or family beat her.

Aug 10, 2018 at 02:33 PM Educated Archy Says:

Zilla Says:

1) Most Latino's are not running away from persecution. That's nonsense rumors that the fake news likes to spread. Its a beautiful trick where they pick on one or two stories of immigrants running away from persecution and make that the norm. Its not the norm. Its nonsense and I don't believe it. So why are they running here? For money. They get all kinds of govt perks, free health care and education etc... Frum jews would do the same. I'll be clear that doesn't make them bad people. They are humans like anyone else. Who wouldn't seek somewhere where they can earn more money. But thats why they come. They come for money not to flee persecution. That's a myth and almost a complete lie.

2) That all being said. yes I have more piety on my frum jewish brethren . Many tzaedkas opened up after the Iron curtian came down. There was an outpouring of support for our less fortunate Russian immigrant brethren. But I have no obligation to help goyim and do not have to have the same level of piety.

Aug 10, 2018 at 02:35 PM Educated Archy Says:

Zilla Says:

or at least be able to turn on spell check?

1) I write my comments on Vin quickly
2) Spell check won't pick up the difference between hungry and Hungary. Its probably spell check that resulted in that error

That was like the dumbest comment I have seen in a long time

Aug 10, 2018 at 02:37 PM Educated Archy Says:

Zilla Says:

That's exactly the point.
1) Your grandparents were being persecuted. The Latino's are not being persecuted.
2) Your grandparents were not on govt programs and its wasn't on our dime. Huge difference

Aug 10, 2018 at 02:55 PM Educated Archy Says:

Zilla Says:

And of course they will claim its gang violence . Noone will claim that they are felling for more money . But trust me it ain't nazis germany for these immigrants.

Aug 10, 2018 at 04:35 PM Cixelsyd_Wnosanoy Says:

Educated Archy Says:

or at least be able to turn on spell check?

1) I write my comments on Vin quickly

That was like the dumbest comment I have seen in a long time

May you both write and think more carefully.

Aug 10, 2018 at 06:50 PM Educated Archy Says:

Cixelsyd_Wnosanoy Says:

May you both write and think more carefully.

You always talk to yourself tricky yoni. You rotten misinformation tacitics stink form hypocrsy. Quite while your ahead

Aug 10, 2018 at 07:36 PM yamsar Says:

Zilla Says:

One important point you make is completely lost on Archy. That he has a responsibility to moderate his comments, so to be careful not to fan the flames of anti semitism, to that he time and time again displays reckless regard to the rest of the klal.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:53 PM Educated Archy Says:

yamsar Says:

Silly paranoia to think a hating muslim blood thirsty beast will react to a comment on VIN. Its the wirediest theory I have heard yet. May they be stricken with yena machala. (I guess I can't use yena mechala either lest they read VIN see the comment and google what yena machla is?)

You are nuts. Take your OCD meds

Aug 13, 2018 at 02:20 PM Cixelsyd_Wnosanoy Says:

Educated Archy Says:

You are nuts. Take your OCD meds

Yamsar is right Archy...you are a little man with much anger and misinformation.

VIN gives you a voice, but you use it in a way which others would tolerate in an open and live discussion. With that voice you spout all kinds of ethnic hatred against all Muslims, treasonous nonsense about Putin, and uninformed, ignorant BS about almost everything else...you shout "liar" at any of us who disagree with you...and worse.