Washington - EIA: U.S. Heating Costs Likely To Be Higher This Winter Than Last

Published on: October 10, 2018 10:30 PM
By: Reuters

Washington - Most U.S. households should expect higher heating costs this winter (October through March) compared with last winter, according to the federal government’s Winter Fuels Outlook, which will be released in full at 11:00 a.m. (1500 GMT) on Wednesday.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) said in a summary of the report that the increased costs are mainly the result of higher prices for heating fuels since temperatures are expected to be similar to last winter in much of the country.

The EIA said it based its heating demand projections on the most recent temperature forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). NOAA’s forecast anticipates the 2018–2019 winter will be 1 percent colder than last winter, which is close to the average of the previous 10 winters.

Expenditures for Midwest households using propane as their primary heating source are expected to decline because the Midwest, the region with the highest concentration of propane heating, is the only region expected to have warmer weather this winter, EIA said.

Natural gas is the most common space heating fuel in every U.S. region except the South, where electric heating is more prevalent. Heating oil is much more common in the Northeast than in other regions, while propane is more common in the Midwest.

New York - The middle child of American Express' suite of charge cards, the Gold Card, is getting a major upgrade this fall, but its bigger perks are going to come with... Washington - A wide-ranging report into the relationship between President Donald Trump and Sheldon Adelson says that Trump intervened on Adelson’s behalf in the...

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:51 PM Moose Says:

Temp will be 1% lower !!!
Where’s my global warming?? !!!!!!!

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:56 PM eli845 Says:

Guess what? They say this every year. We already know it will be higher. But wait if there is global warming why would I have to pay more? I bought my house 5 years ago, this will be my 5th winter. Last year my heating bill was 75% higher then any year before. Please bring some global warming already (I actually like the winter so whatever).

Oct 11, 2018 at 01:40 AM WInning Says:

NOt

Oct 11, 2018 at 08:30 AM Anonymous Says:

OH Where is Educated Arch/Edith to explain it to us that paying more for gasoline,heating,mortgages,auto-loan, food,shoes is actually good for us middle class people.

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM Aron1 Says:

eli845 Says:

You're paying more? Here's a clue why (I found it in the article):
INCREASED PRICES.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:08 AM Aron1 Says:

Moose Says:

Temp will be 1% lower !!!
Where’s my global warming?? !!!!!!!

Uncharacteristically cold winters...just might be one of the most hard felt effects of climate change, according to a study published in Nature Geoscience by a team of researchers.
(Global warming warming - a scientific fact - causes climate change which causes wide swings in weather and temperature)

Oct 11, 2018 at 03:49 PM Educated Archy Says:

Aron1 Says:

Global warming warming - voddo science.

Not a fact at all. fake news and lies. It doesn't exist. its based on fake hypothesis. Its nonsense. Evolution is science too. Yet its a lie.

Trickly yoni again posting his fake news

Oct 11, 2018 at 03:54 PM Educated Archy Says:

I am not edith get that thru your dumb head. As she pointed out, I can't spell for the life of me. The content is obviously different.

I never ever post under any other screen name (sometimes I do forget and it comes in as anonymous and I'd be glad to admit it of I do.) unlike tricky yoni who lied to us many times. These are the facts.

I suggest you shut your fat silly trap lest you further make a fool of yourself.

To your content, it all depends how much prices rise. A healthy small increase is good. Go learn some macroeconomics. ( although not as beneficial as higher rates are for middle class savers)