Brooklyn, NY - Driver Arrested After Toddler Headed To Borough Park Bais Yaakov Found Abandoned On School Bus

Published on: November 9, 2018 07:30 AM

Brooklyn, NY - A 35 year old school bus driver has been arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child after leaving a two and a half year old girl alone on a parked school bus for several hours.

Police said that they received a 911 call at 11:20 AM on Wednesday about a possible case of child abuse at E. 94th Street and Lenox Road in Brownsville.

Arriving on scene, officers discovered the unattended child locked inside a school bus.  After gaining entry to the vehicle, the girl was transported in stable condition to Maimonides Medical Center as a precautionary measure.

Police arrested the driver of the bus, Ralph Jeannis, who lived just over a block away from where the bus had been parked.

Sources said that the bus had been taking children to Bais Yaakov of Boro Park, located more than four miles away.

A sign saying that the bus had been checked for sleeping children was reportedly hanging in the vehicle’s rear window when police arrived at the scene.

Berlin - Chancellor Angela Merkel and Germany's main Jewish leader warned against tolerating modern-day anti-Semitism and racism as they marked the 80th anniversary... Chicago, IL - Former first lady Michelle Obama blasts President Donald Trump in her new book, recalling how she reacted in shock the night she learned he would replace...

Nov 09, 2018 at 08:45 AM Anonymous Says:

How ironic .... that happened to my 3yr old son in 1986 in 20 F weather ...and I was told not to make a complaint because they would not allow me to sent my son to that Yeshiva any longer ... no I still haven't gotten over him not returning home on the afternoon bus , until I called to find out where he was and was told he never came to yeshiva that morning. He was found on the bus in the yeshiva's parking lot !!!!

Nov 09, 2018 at 09:54 AM HappyMommy Says:

im so sorry this has happened to you! very traumatic!

Nov 09, 2018 at 10:09 AM Mightysmart Says:

Omg that’s terrible. That’s terrible.

Nov 09, 2018 at 11:06 AM triumphinwhitehouse Says:

its only mesira if its a jew.

Nov 09, 2018 at 11:37 AM pennstreet Says:

What happened to the safety regulation where school buses must install a device located at the rear of the bus where drivers must walk to the rear to activate it, thereby compelling the driver to do a walk-thru before leaving the bus.

Also, it is quite common to observe where loaded school buses have the 'bus has been checked for sleeping children sign' displayed on the rear!!!

Nov 09, 2018 at 12:05 PM 845monsey Says:

Just a thought. This was a 2 year old child , is It really safe to send a child this age alone on a school bus? It seems to be way below the threshold of what is commonly done among the public schools. We should rethink our policy’s and ensue the safety of our most precious possessions

Nov 09, 2018 at 03:52 PM Anonymous Says:

The same thing happened to my nephew over 40 years ago, while attending a Brooklyn Yeshivah. Some of these bus drivers are deviants, who have not be adequately screened by the schools.

Nov 10, 2018 at 08:22 PM Anonymous Says:

If you didn’t report that, YOU should be reported for neglect and child abuse!

Nov 10, 2018 at 08:23 PM Anonymous Says:

845monsey Says:

Exactly what I was thinking! What happened to the good old days when two year olds were still home with their mothers?!

Nov 10, 2018 at 09:48 PM fat36 Says:

I was waiting for the bus one day my kid 3 year old didn’t come off the bus they told me he may be on a Nother bus by mistake contacting the other drivers I was told he was not on any other bus so we figured to call the school and the secretary was still there she said she will go check Came back on the phone saying he was not there ( if I may add this is already a 2 1/2 hour ordeal and my heart is coming out of my chest) Long story short he went to the bathroom the buses left and left him behind and the secretary when we called and she said she was going to see if he was in the building never really went to check she just took it upon herself to say that he was not there but when we went to the school he was still in the classroom. It happens everywhere not just on a bus