Miami - American Kicks Jewish Couple And Baby Off Flight, Citing Complaints Of Body Odor

Published on: January 24, 2019 11:49 AM
The Adlers in the AirportThe Adlers in the Airport

Miami - An Orthodox Jewish couple returning home to Detroit from a Miami vacation found themselves stuck in the airport with their toddler Wednesday night after complaints about body odor had them booted off their flight.

Yossi Adler took to LinkedIn last night to share his frustrations, saying that he, his wife and their 19 month old daughter were removed from an American Airlines flight and told that “one of them smelled.”  The Adler’s luggage, car seat, stroller and religious items all continued on to Detroit, while they remained stranded in Miami International Airport, holding their infant daughter, with only a few small bags that they had carried onto the flight.  Adler said that American Airlines employees warned them to “make sure it doesn’t happen on the next flight.”

Adler, a former student at Telshe Yeshiva who describes himself as a part time CFO and controller for small to midsize businesses, told Miami’s Local 10 (http://bit.ly/2WiscjQ) that he has no idea why they were removed from the plane.

“They took us off, they closed the gate, and then they said ‘oh, sorry sir, some people complained that you had body odor and we are not letting you back on,’” said Adler, adding “There is no body odor that we have; there’s nothing wrong with us.”

In a statement released to Local 10, American Airlines confirmed the story and said that the Adlers were given meal vouchers and a hotel room for the night and were rebooked on a flight taking off today.

Puzzled by their ouster, Jennie Adler said that, despite being embarrassed, they actually approached people in the airport to asked them if they detected any traces of body odor.  All replied in the negative, adding that they were shocked to hear the story.

“I’m very frustrated,” said Yossi Adler.  “I want them to own up to what really happened and to tell me the truth. What was it?”

The Adlers were able to board a return flight this morning and hope to be able to locate their luggage when they arrive back in Detroit.

Washington - The Senate intelligence committee on Thursday subpoenaed President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen to testify, a day after Cohen said he planned... New York - JetBlue Airways Corp Chief Executive Officer Robin Hayes said on Thursday that the U.S. aviation system is nearing a "tipping point" due to the partial...

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:55 AM Anonymous Says:

Nu? They got a Free day in Miami. American First.MAGA

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:01 PM Reb Yid Says:

Don't they have to take your luggage off if you're not on the flight, for security reasons?

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:50 PM amerikaner Says:

after you pick up your luggage, check it that everything's OK and HIRE A LAWYER to sue them

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:53 PM Oyvey Says:

Obviously someone complained about "the smelly Jews".
More details are needed to really asses what happened here, but it doesn't sound good.

Jan 24, 2019 at 01:16 PM Your Friend Says:

SO sorry you both had to go thru this unnecessary embarrassment. Im SURE You and your wife do not smell. SHAME on the AA airline!
Also, thanks for telling your story .

Jan 24, 2019 at 01:33 PM lazy-boy Says:

it is probably the kippa that he is wearing that people found offensive.....

Jan 24, 2019 at 01:43 PM Anonymous Says:

I smell a big lawsuit!!

Jan 24, 2019 at 02:57 PM Kashrus Pro Says:

How many times have we gotten onto a flight, sat down in her seat, and smelled the person who was there previously? Whether was body odor or whether it was some ethnic stuff that the person was wearing?

I used to get onto planes smelling like a ketchup bottle after coming out of a tomato production facility. No one complained about it for the hour flight! Unfortunately there are far too many babies now, and I mean babies who are adult looking.

Jan 24, 2019 at 03:33 PM fat36 Says:

I don’t know what took place in this particular situation but I do know there is a lot of people in the Jewish ( religious) world that never heard of Deodorant and I was in situations myself where I smelled too many rotten onion and it’s Disgusting.And besideswhat people don’t realize in general like If you’re wearing a hat and you take it off your kippa tends to have a terrible smell that we don’t realize.I tend to Change mine very often for that reason

Jan 24, 2019 at 03:37 PM Anonymous Says:

I smell a big lawsuit!!

I smell end of MAGA. American is last, JetBlue is first for Yiden.

Jan 24, 2019 at 03:39 PM Anonymous Says:

amerikaner Says:

"sue them" Do I understand this correctly? Americaner = American wants them to sue American?? What happened? Changed your mind since Pelosi is the new KING. No more MAGA?

Jan 24, 2019 at 05:13 PM Anonymous Says:

It doesn't pass the smell test.

Jan 24, 2019 at 05:58 PM Anonymous Says:

Plenty of ethnicity's smell pretty strongly. The spices they use linger and you can smell them as they pass you on the street. How come they don't get booted off planes

Jan 24, 2019 at 07:17 PM Anonymous Says:

Look, I don't think that they were kicked off because of their ethnicity. It is very unpleasant to be seated near anyone on a plane (no matter who they are), because they are too lazy to use deodorant. A few years ago, on a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa, on Southwest, a schvartser got on, and it was my mazel that he sat down next to me. He stunk from body odor, and he was sleeping, and leaning on me. I was very grateful that the flight was relatively short, and that he got off in Tampa. I might add that there have been times in Shul on Shabbos, where I've smelled cigarette smoke on people's clothes. In other words, the same clothes that they were prior to Shabbos, while they smoked, were the same ones which they were wearing on Shabbos. The latter smell is very annoying, and irritating. The smell of the cigarette smoke on the clothes of a frum Jew, is just as offensive to myself, as the smelly schvartser, on the Southwest flight. Last, years ago, there was a woman in my office, who also smelled. When I complained to her about her offensive odor (she was also too lazy to use deodorant), she told me to "put a clothes pin on my nose".

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:20 PM RobertS Says:

Why use the term expression “shvartser”? If you mean just “black”, what does his race have to do with his smell?

Jan 25, 2019 at 01:48 AM Greener Says:

Oyvey Says:

Obviously someone complained about "the smelly Jews".

To judge the relevance of something one needs to "assess" the matter. But you chose to drop the last "s". Are you implying that this is the cause of the smell?

Jan 25, 2019 at 02:46 AM PaulinSaudi Says:

I would suppose some small percentage of people smell too bad to be on an airplane. I have no idea if these poor people are in that group.

Jan 25, 2019 at 09:28 AM georgeg Says:

I don't know these people, but bloggers on other sites claim to know them personally and claim categorically that these people have perfect hygiene.

Jan 25, 2019 at 09:43 AM Anonymous Says:

One more point. On Shabbos we don't use toothbrushes. Fine! What about using a mouthwash such as Scope? I have a hard time talking to someone (after davening, of course) who uses nothing. His mouth odor is atrocious ! Please, everyone, use a mouthwash on Shabbos. Thank you very much.

Jan 25, 2019 at 09:48 AM Anonymous Says:

Anyone who is too lazy to use deodorant, no matter what their ethnicity or race, and goes around with a foul body odor, is my opinion, is uneducated, stupid, lazy, stupid, and despicable!