New York - NYC Restaurant Reviewer Skewers Israeli Eatery For $24 Tomato Dish

Published on: July 8, 2019 03:00 PM
By: JTA

New York - An Israeli chef  who was skewered by a food critic for a $24 tomato appetizer said he received anti-Semitic hate mail in response.

Eyal Shani opened the upscale HaSalon, known for its party atmosphere, in Hell’s Kitchen three months ago. A review on Tuesday in the New York Post said of the appetizer tomato cut into eight pieces and drizzled with olive oil and sea salt: “Its red/green/brown hues and sea of swirling seeds thrilled my eyes. Its deep, nutty-and-sweet, late-August, just-picked flavor pleased my palate. Its appearance on the menu offended my wallet.”

The review concluded: “HaSalon translates as ‘the salon’ or, as applied to this venue, ‘the living room.’ But it might as well mean, Ha, suckers! The joke’s on us.”

The New Yorker magazine also took note of the high-priced produce, noting, “It was a very nice tomato, but, for that price, it should come with a massage and a pedicure.”

Following the publication of the Post review, Shani said he received an anonymous anti-Semitic letter which read, in part: “Majority of Americans despise Israel. We did not want your Soda Stream. And only stupid kikes would eat at your overpriced pit.”

The letter also accuses Jews of not paying taxes and not paying their employees, and states that the “measles outbreak was spread by your Orthodox cult freaks.”

The letter concludes “Jews are not wanted here! HaSalon days are numbered.”

The letter was posted on Twitter by Shani’s business partner, Shahar Segal, under the heading in Hebrew “Good Morning America.”

Shani, who also owns the popular New York restaurant Miznon, was a judge on Israel’s “Master Chef” and has frequently talked about his love for tomatoes.

Tel Aviv - Dozens of mothers are marching through Tel Aviv in a show of rising anger over a police officer's fatal shooting of an Ethiopian Israeli teenager, which... Washington - The United States will not waver from its course of maximum pressure against Iran, Vice President Mike Pence said Monday, as tensions rise and the...

Jul 08, 2019 at 03:11 PM fat36 Says:

I guess not everyone has the same love for tomatoes.It always blows my mind how one guy does Something and he so happens to be a Jewish person a whole race of people got cursed out.

Jul 08, 2019 at 03:23 PM Anonymous Says:

fat36 Says:

It always blows my mind how one guy does Something and he so happens to be a Palestinian person a whole race of people got cursed out. ”

I get really upset when I hear Jews do this.

Jul 08, 2019 at 04:03 PM 5TResident Says:

fat36 Says:

Obviously just an excuse to hate. You notice that the writer moves on from the price of the tomatoes to SodaStream to the measles problem to child rape (!) and so on.

Jul 08, 2019 at 04:07 PM ELEPHANT Says:

Thanks to anti vaxers

Jul 08, 2019 at 04:34 PM Cricket Says:

Thank you for printing the letter image. I learned many swear words from it.

Jul 08, 2019 at 05:05 PM VeyIzMir Says:

I get really upset when I hear Jews do this.

Are you comparing a guy who hates tomatoes and curses out many innocents, to tens of thousands of Palestinians who stab, kill, maim, bomb, and riot?

Take your meds.

Jul 08, 2019 at 05:11 PM rachelw Says:

Blinded by pure hatred and prejudice. Fact is there are plenty of non-Jews who are anti-vaxxers, while abuse is way more rampant among catholic clergy. Not excusing it; should be non-existent in our society. Same with white collar crime. Humans are susceptible across the board. But the haters will single out the Jew and ignore the vast number (in comparison) of non-Jewish law-breakers. The nature of the beast since the beginning of time. Nothing to do, nothing to say. Falls on deaf ears anyway. We have one Defender, the only One that counts.

Jul 08, 2019 at 05:43 PM CHANA1 Says:

Cricket Says:

Thank you for printing the letter image. I learned many swear words from it.

10 points for best comment!

Jul 08, 2019 at 06:31 PM No, Elephant Says:

ELEPHANT Says:

Thanks to anti vaxers

Obviously it has nothing to do with vaxers. The hatred is there and the hater is using anything he thinks of at the moment. sodastream did nothing except emply Arabs at good wages. Nobody forced anybody to buy a sodastream device.

Jul 08, 2019 at 07:40 PM StevenWright Says:

Of course, what nobody ever mentions is that many of those who hate us for being anti-vaxers probably have AIDS.

Jul 09, 2019 at 11:44 AM Cricket Says:

CHANA1 Says:

10 points for best comment!

Tks for compliment and note they now switched out the pic.