Sweden - Chocolate Helps Heart Attack Survivors

Published on: August 13, 2009 11:06 PM
By: AFP

Sweden - Eating chocolate can reduce heart attack survivors’ risk of dying, say researchers who followed 1,169 Swedish men and women, ages 45 to 70, from the time they were hospitalized with their first heart attack in the early 1990s.

Those who ate chocolate two or more times a week were about three times less likely to die from heart disease than those who never ate chocolate, the study found.

Smaller amounts of chocolate also offered some protection.

The study, which appears in the September issue of the Journal of Internal Medicine, is believed to be the first to demonstrate that chocolate can help prevent death in heart attack survivors.

“Our findings support increasing evidence that chocolate is a rich source of beneficial bioactive compounds,” the researchers wrote.

Antioxidants in cocoa likely explain chocolate’s beneficial effects in heart attack survivors, study co-author Dr. Kenneth Mukamal, a researcher at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, said.

Jerusalem - Besides the lone star that sits boldly on both of their flags, Texas and Israel have much in common, and a sturdy relationship that should continue to grow... New York, NY - Former NYPD Top Cop Bill Bratton hasn't worked in the Big Apple since 1996 but that doesn't mean he still isn't a popular guy around these parts...

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM Anonymous Says:

Those of us who are chocoholics are thrilled about this news!

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM presser Says:

chocolate is one of my basic food groups. glad to hear it's healthy!

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM chocolate lover Says:

I always knew that chocolate is good for the mind but didn't know its good for heart too

Aug 14, 2009 at 01:17 AM TR DICE Says:

I was wondering if someone can let me know if they have some kind of healthy chocolate? maybe in the health food store??

Because if you look the ingredients on the baking chocolate it doesnt look to healthy to me. so is the dark chocolate that they are talking about the same as Shufra Baking Chocolate?

Aug 14, 2009 at 06:39 AM boroparkyenta Says:

Now we know what to bring when visiting a heart patient in the hospital.
And now we can tell them that it is not only delicious, but "medicine" as well.
So, indulge, but they probably refer to the sugar free bittersweet kind.
I prefer the rich dairy chocolates, although I doubt they have any major benefits.
Moderation is the key in any food we eat.

Aug 14, 2009 at 07:07 AM Anonymous Says:

TR DICE Says:

Baking chocolate has more added fats to make it smooth for melting. It's not meant for eating. You can find excellent chocolate in the health foods stores but one 3 oz. bar is up at about $3. Any dark chocolate with more than 65% cacao is worthwhile. Usually, the chocolate that has this percentage and higher will have the cacao info printed on the front label.

Aug 14, 2009 at 08:20 AM Anonymous Says:

They always said that chocolate energies a person. I recall my grandmother telling me that they use to hive it to the army. So grandma is always right!

Aug 14, 2009 at 09:02 AM Anonymous Says:

Now I know why my grandma use to give me chocolate...

Aug 14, 2009 at 09:21 AM Chaim B. Says:

Any one going to Belgium? Go to the chocolate museum in Brugge!

Aug 14, 2009 at 09:54 AM Anonymous Says:

A chocolate a day, keeps the doctor away.

Aug 14, 2009 at 09:52 AM David Says:

Well, thank God, I haven't had a heart attack, but why take risks? I'm having some chocolate today.

Aug 14, 2009 at 09:50 AM Anonymous Says:

i once heard that the Lubavitcher Rebbe Zt"l, after he had his heart attak in the 70's, asked his doctor to prescribe chocloate. Anyone know more about that?

Aug 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM Anonymous Says:

Why would he have to ask the doctor to prescribe choclate ,choclate doesn't need a prescribtion ..they sell it in the grocery stores (another made up storey)

Aug 14, 2009 at 03:36 PM Anonymous Says:

1 oz of dark chocolate a day , at least 60% cocoa, has been shown to lower cholesterol, improve nerve function and reduce risk of heart attack. The thing is, one has to be careful about calories anyway. Ya can't eat that chocolate on top of a regular day's food intake. Otherwise one is still going to get fat and deal with other risk factors.

Aug 17, 2009 at 04:47 PM Askupeh Says:

chocolate lover Says:

What's good for the mind is good for the heart. What's good for the heart isn't necessarily good for the mind.