Jerusalem - Charedi Woman Dies at 99, Leaves Behind 1,400 Descendents

Published on: September 17, 2009 07:42 AM

Mrs Krishevsky Photo Credit: Yneterusalem - The commandment to “be fruitful and multiply” the Krishevsky family follows quite closely. Last Saturday, the great grandmother, Rachel Krishevsky passed away at the age of 99, leaving behind no less than 1,400 children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even great-great-grandchildren.
Krishevsky got married to her cousin, Yitzhak, just before turning 19. The couple brought seven sons and four daughters into the world. In accordance with haredi custom, Krishevsky brought up her children to see children as a great joy. Her children subsequently adopted her outlook and produced 150 children of their own.
These 150 children continued the commitment to be fruitful and multiply and themselves had no less than 1,000 children. From here, the lineage continued even further, and Rachel Krishevsky was blessed with a few hundred great-great-grandchildren.
Rachel Krishevsky died on Saturday surrounded by loving descendents.
Due to their great numbers, the family is not quite clear on precisely how many descendents there are. “The estimate in the family is that we are about 1,400 people since almost all of those from the family line were blessed with many children,” said one of the grandchildren Wednesday.
Though she lived a full and long life, the family is saddened by Rachel’s passing. Krishevsky lived nearly her whole live next to Jerusalem’s Mahane Yehuda open-air market.

“Grandma was a God-fearing woman her whole life, and her door was always open to the homeless and poor near the market who were looking for a place to eat,” added the grandchild.

“She knew the entire book of Psalms by heart, and participated in all the family events, happy and sad, up until two years ago. She knew all of her descendents. We are sad about her death, but proud of what she achieved in her life and her righteousness and compassion.”

Though Krishevsky certainly produced many offspring, she did was not a record-breaker. In the haredi sector, there are two well-known cases of living people having great-great-great-grandchildren. One such case is in a Hassidic family living in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Mea Shearim. Another such family is that of Rabbi Yosef Shalom Elyashiv, the leader of the Lithuanian branch of haredi Judaism. A few months ago, his great-great-grandson had his first child.

Manhattan, NY - Two tablets of the Ten Commandments (Liches), including one that had disappeared years ago and was thought lost, will be restored to the historic... Uman, Ukraine - A Hasidic Jewish pilgrim bit a Ukrainian policeman while other pilgrims smashed a television camera in a row over kosher food, Channel 5 television...

Sep 17, 2009 at 06:46 AM Anonymous Says:

Wowsers! Amazing!

Sep 17, 2009 at 06:54 AM Anonymous Says:

Wow it probaly costed her a nice buck on chanaka gelt

Sep 17, 2009 at 07:35 AM Anonymous Says:

This is precisely why the number 6 million is a huge understatement. Had she been lost in the holocaust we would have lost at least 1400 with her. BD'H and enjoy your nachas from shamayim.

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:09 AM Inspired Says:

Ken Yirbu. This is so beautiful, I agree with #3 about the Holocaust. Because of it,we have an additional imperative to have kinderlach. Ken Yirbu!!
Thanks VIN for an inspiring pre-RH story!!

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:01 AM Midwestern Guy Says:

What a beautiful accomplishment!!

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:24 AM Anonymous Says:

KN"H!! Can you even fathom that number?? 1400?? Amazing!! What a story!

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:15 AM Anonymous Says:

i wonder if they are fighting over the yerusha (inheritence)

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:15 AM dovy Says:

boruch dayan haemes

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:12 AM Anonymous Says:

Very inspirational. BDE.

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:11 AM boroparkyenta Says:

Wow it probaly costed her a nice buck on chanaka gelt

Strongly doubt that she distributed Chanuka gelt. But I am sure that she gave lots of love and chizuk. With so many descendants, she should never have had a minute alone. Wonder if she remembered their names, never mind their birth dates. She probably had a dozen simchas in the family every week. It is a blessing to have such a nice large family. She looks like she was a very sweet woman.
May she be a meilitza yesheira.

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:59 AM Anonymous Says:

She'll be sorely missed. Grandparents keep the family together. May she be a melitzah yeshura for her family and all of klall yisroel.

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:57 AM shimon Says:

BDE. May her neshama have and aliya and lots of nachas form her family, and may they keep growing both in number and in Yiras Shamayim.

BTW, sorry, es pass nisht, but I can't resist: Since when does VIN publish photos of women?!

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:55 AM Anonymous Says:

how wonderful. thank you for sharing this, VIN!

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:48 AM Babishka Says:

I have only 22 einiklach, and if they didn't have multiple names I couldn't remember them all.

I bet there will be lots of little "Rochel'les" within weeks, if not days, if not already.

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:47 AM live long Says:

boroparkyenta Says:

May she be a meilitza yesheira.

1400 latkes & doughnut? Wow

Sep 17, 2009 at 08:46 AM starwolf Says:

i wonder if they are fighting over the yerusha (inheritence)

Considering where she lived and her lifestyle, she probably did not leave much in the way of material yerusha to fight about.

However, she left a great yerusha--the kind of love and personal example that each and every one of her descendants can take for themselves. It does not have to be divided, and there is no reason to fight over anything.

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:36 AM Anonymous Says:

You are, sadly, very very right.

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:24 AM Askupeh Says:

i wonder if they are fighting over the yerusha (inheritence)

In such types of families, usually there is no Yerusha; every penny would have been spent to help a child, a grandchild etc. The Yerusha (legacy) she left, is that a mothers heart is huge enough to accommodate even 1400 offspring.

I am old enough to have known many Yiddisha Mama’s who were already married before world war II. Oy, Vi Nemt Men Azelcha Yiddisha Mama’s? The new Dor will NEVER understand.

BTW, I recall that a Mrs. Krishevsky (probably her mother in law) from Yerushalayim died about 20-25 years ago leaving 1600 or more descendants, and we were then debating if that includes all those married to her offspring (Tzugekumina).

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:48 AM Malki Says:

Askupeh Says:

What? Today's mothers do not give all for their children and grandchildren? What an unfortunate romaticizing of pre-war Europe. Today's mothers are just as worthy.

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:58 AM Anonymous Says:

"Krishevsky brought up her children to see children as a great joy." WHAT do others see CHILDREN as ???

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:52 AM Anonymous Says:

She was a bas yechida to her parents

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:38 AM veloi susiri Says:

Reply to#12
I hope a pic from a 99 y/o won't bring any hirhirim

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:38 AM Askupeh Says:

shimon Says:

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:37 AM Askupeh Says:

boroparkyenta Says:

May she be a meilitza yesheira.

This reminds me of Reb Yom Tov Ehrlich ZT”L’s song “Ah Bris, Ah Bar Mitzvah, Ah Chaseneh”. It is said that Yaakov Ovinu going from Shivim Nefesh to Shishishim Ribboi (70-600,000) never took off his Streimel, because every day he had a Simcha in the family; indeed “Ah Bris, Ah Bar Mitzvah, Ah Chaseneh”.

If you are scratching your head, thinking how do I know that Yaakov Ovinu wore a Streimel. My Rebbe in Cheder answered that. He said that from where do we know that Yaakov Ovinu wore a Kapul (Yarmulka)? Because it says “Vayelech Yaakov”, and can you imagine Yaakov Ovinu walking without a Kappul?

Just a little levity for those who are be’atzvus, in doing Teshuva a whole month. Start dancing for joy and be Besimchah; Bonim Atem LaShem Elokeichem. A child can beg from his/her father just about anything.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:23 AM Askupeh Says:

Malki Says:

You are right, and I didn’t mean to Chas Vesholom degrade today’s mothers, and please don’t take it personal. BUT I said that the new Dor will NEVER understand, yet I’ll try to show what I mean. My mother Zol Zein Gezunt and grandmother and great grandmother didn’t need anything. A plain Shtikel Broit was also good enough. Their entire existence was for the family, with zero selfishness. My Rebbe Reb Avigdor Miller ZT”L used to say, that “marriage turns a selfish girl into an unselfish mother. Take that a few steps further, that’s all I can say.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM Anonymous Says:

BDE I'm sure there must be many others in the Cheredi world who produced so many generations too.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM Robert Says:

this is a tremendous inspiration to us all

the mitzvah of reproduction is the first listed in the torah and for very good reason

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:18 AM Anonymous Says:

Many unfortunately see children as a burden and a financial drain.

Sep 17, 2009 at 01:05 PM Anonymous Says:

Beautiful, and no, today's mothers are absolutely not on the same level. Whatsoever.

Sep 17, 2009 at 02:12 PM gregaaron Says:

Who made you the judge and jury to decide what levels today's mothers are or are not on? I'll take my current mother, b"h, over any that you could have given me in Europe. Do you know how much sacrifice goes into raising kids today? Can you say that you were there in the 1930s, and YOU know how much mesiras nefesh there was then as opposed to now?

Maybe the fact that so many more kids stayed frum in Europe is a proof that the mothers then were on a higher level.

Oh, wait.

And no, I'm not a woman who is insulted - I'm just a regular guy, Y chromosome and all - but I do think that it's highly inappropriate to say lashon hara at best, and motzi shem ra at worst, on a whole generation of yideshe mamas. You, sir, are not in a position to compare different generations. Leave it to the One who knows.

Sep 17, 2009 at 03:03 PM Askupeh Says:

gregaaron Says:

Oh, wait.

And the one, who knows, is the one who lived it. I got #29 agreeing with me.

Regarding the other part of your comment; Der Velt Zogt Az Der Epela Folt Nish Veit Fin Der Boim; and the Heiliga Kotzker said: “that’s, when the wind isn’t blowing”.

In Europe before the war there wasn’t just a wind but a thunderstorm, a hurricane. Ein Bayis Asher Ein Shom Mess. Ribboinoi Shel Oiolom, look at your Klal Yisroel. You hadn’t made a mistake with them. Every Yid is Moleh Mitzvois Kerimoin. As one Tzaddik once said: Oib Nisht Yetzt, Ven Den?”

A Kesiva Vechasimah Tovah to Gantz Klal Yisroel. If I hurt anybody, I beg for forgiveness. On my part I am Moichel everybody without exception, and I hope Hashem Yisborach will reciprocate and send already the Goal Tzedek, Omain.

Sep 17, 2009 at 02:37 PM בני ישראל פרו וירבו מאוד Says:

I wish that me and my wife should be zocha also.

Sep 17, 2009 at 09:29 PM true Says:

I know a very large family in Brooklyn who make chanuaka party in a big hall , and they all have name tages , cause the family is so large they do not know all the little ones are growing up, so in simchas they do not see always the kids , and this way all the cousins get to know each other and all share gifts and food, its a very nice way to keep with the family,
may all those who need yeshuas with kids be zoch to have this year what they wish for ,

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM Anonymous Says:

Wow that is AMAZING - I wish I belonged to such a CLAN!

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM Askupeh Says:

Wow that is AMAZING - I wish I belonged to such a CLAN!

You do, brother.