New York City - Tiny Apartments In NYC

Published on: December 14, 2009 11:04 AM
By:  NY Post

Eddie Rabon, 24, in his micro apartment at 455 W. 47th Street, NY, NY on Friday, December 11, 2009.  Rabon claims his apt. is 55 sq. ft.New York City - They do their dishes in the shower, sit sideways on the toilet and need to watch their weight just to fit into their bathrooms.

But these cramped New Yorkers wouldn’t have it any other way.

A week after The Post told the story of Zaarath and Christopher Prokop and their 175-square-foot micro-studio on Sunday, other New Yorkers lined up to share their tales of living small, including a 55-square-foot apartment in Hell’s Kitchen and a 90-square-foot home on the Upper West Side.

“To me, it’s all about location,” said Eddie Rabon, 24, who lives in a microscopic Hell’s Kitchen abode. “I’m in an amazing neighborhood, and the money I save on rent alone lets me really enjoy New York for what it is. My apartment is a place to hang my hat and catch a few hours of sleep. That’s it.”

55 sq. ft., Hell’s Kitchen

When freelance event planner Eddie Rabon talks about his itty-bitty pad — just one square foot larger than a Rikers Island jail cell — the excitement is clear in his voice.

“It’s fantastic,” he said. “It’s a great neighborhood in the greatest city. It’s about $800 a month. You won’t find that price anywhere else in this area. I feel like the money I save not having to get on the train to get around because I’m in the center of everything is worth it.”

Rabon said the longest wall in his apartment is 121/2 feet, and that includes the apartment door. At its narrowest spot, he can spread his arms and almost touch both opposing walls. He said he has trouble turning around in his little shower, and said taller friends have been unable to close the bathroom door if they need to sit.

“The bathroom has an airplane sink turned lengthwise,” he said. “So I can’t actually fit in over the sink

90 sq. ft., UWS

The first night Felice Cohen, 39, slept in her tiny apartment — with a full-size loft bed only 23 inches from the ceiling — she had a “panic attack.”

“But now I love it. It’s cozy,” she said of the 12-by-7-foot place, which rents for just over $700 a month.

Her tiny bathroom is a challenge, though: “I had to learn to sit sideways on the toilet so I don’t bang my leg on the tub.”

105 sq. ft., Greenwich Village

Genevieve Shuler, 31, always knew she wanted to live near Washington Square Park, the neighborhood her parents once called home. “When I first walked in, I thought, ‘This is really incredibly tiny,’” she said of the $780-a-month pad. “There were no closets, no real kitchen. But I knew I could do more with it . Once I knew my loft bed could fit, I took it.” When it comes time to do the dishes, because the kitchen sink is so small, “I do them in the shower.”

New York - It began with that most common of New York complaints: The car alarm that will not stop. But it quickly became about so much more, about unresolved issues of... Far Rockaway, NY - They are the proud. The few. The brave. They are those who awaken at the crack of dawn and Daven at the moment of sunrise. They are the Vasikin...

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:21 AM Babishka Says:

No thank you, I will stay here in my 2800 sq. ft. 5-bedroom house.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM Anonymous Says:

Of course they like it. The worm in the apple thinks it's in heaven. The worm in the radish thinks it's the sweetest place in the world. The richest person in the world is he who is satisfied. Still doesn't beat $100 million and an 8 bedroom, 9 bathroom duplex on Fifth Avenue.

Dec 14, 2009 at 01:44 PM Anonymous Says:

come to meah sherim and try it with 12 kids.
then you will see how olem hazeh means nothing here.

(olem haza domeh l prozded lifnei olam habah).

Let's get 2800 sf of baba kama and baba metzia to bring into the next world!!

Dec 14, 2009 at 01:59 PM Tzi Bar David Says:

Ah to be young and happy in a place like that.

Dec 14, 2009 at 02:04 PM Anonymous Says:

come to meah sherim and try it with 12 kids.
then you will see how olem hazeh means nothing here.

(olem haza domeh l prozded lifnei olam habah).

Let's get 2800 sf of baba kama and baba metzia to bring into the next world!!

Leprozdor, not whatever it is that you wrote.

Dec 14, 2009 at 02:10 PM Shmilfke Says:

Dec 14, 2009 at 02:18 PM Rochel Says:

Babishka Says:

No thank you, I will stay here in my 2800 sq. ft. 5-bedroom house.

#2 Thank you for flaunting. Not everyone has in-laws who can afford that.

Dec 14, 2009 at 03:19 PM Anonymous Says:

Rochel Says:

#2 Thank you for flaunting. Not everyone has in-laws who can afford that.

Thank God I have genius parents who were pushed in to going to post graduate schools. MD, JD-PhD pays well enough for my own place in Brooklyn Heights.

Dec 14, 2009 at 03:50 PM Babishka Says:

Rochel Says:

#2 Thank you for flaunting. Not everyone has in-laws who can afford that.

Where I live, homes like these cost under $250,000.

Dec 14, 2009 at 04:14 PM Anonymous Says:

Rochel Says:

#2 Thank you for flaunting. Not everyone has in-laws who can afford that.

dont be silly. there are no free rides in life.

Dec 14, 2009 at 04:46 PM Anonymous Says:

Shmilfke Says:

at least your honest! thank g-d for my mother in law!

Dec 14, 2009 at 04:47 PM Anonymous Says:

Rochel Says:

#2 Thank you for flaunting. Not everyone has in-laws who can afford that.

you sound a bit bitter. be happy for him.

Dec 14, 2009 at 06:36 PM I'll skip New York, Thanks Says:

For that money, I can get a two bedroom apt. in Lakewood, with fresh air to breath and plenty of shopping, parks, noise, traffic and whatever else you think you'd be missing, (crime, too) if you didn't live in New York.

Dec 14, 2009 at 08:19 PM wanna move Says:

Babishka Says:

Where I live, homes like these cost under $250,000.

Where do you live?
I'm packing my bags!!!

Dec 14, 2009 at 09:52 PM Babishka Says:

wanna move Says:

Where do you live?
I'm packing my bags!!!

Detroit. :)

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM rachel Says:

i went to school with eddie and he was always very thrifty and creative. the fact that you can make it work in a 55 sq ft appartement. i camend you. you are doing a great job, and can you say thinking green is now in.