New York - More Details Emerge About Abuhatzeira And Acusation Of Massive Fraud

Published on: February 26, 2010 11:27 AM
By:  Haaretz

New York -  “The day my daughter died, I decided to bury him,” said Menachem Ellowich, an ultra-Orthodox resident of Brooklyn, referrring to Rabbi Elazar Abuhatzeira, a kabbalist from Be’er Sheva. A few weeks ago, a man armed with a knife tried to do just that.

Ellowich is trolling the Internet to find others hurt by Abuhatzeira - others who, like him, paid tens of thousands of dollars for broken promises. Meanwhile, his pile of papers is growing: printouts from charitable associations, taped conversations with the rabbi’s representatives in the United States and with other victims.

Ellowich believes that his 24-year-old daughter died after Abuhatzeira cursed her. But if he cannot get the rabbi convicted of manslaughter, at least he wants to get back the $100,000 he paid for the blessing that would end his daughter’s barrenness.

Ellowich first heard about Abuhatzeira in 2004 through a friend, Chezkel Roth. “I didn’t know a thing about him except that his grandfather was the Baba Sali,” Ellowich said.

The rabbi told Ellowich that to receive the desired blessing, he would have to bring him $100,000 within five days. “You have to believe in me,” Ellowich quoted the rabbi as saying. “I’m a great righteous person and I promise you your daughter will have children and grandchildren. Her luck will change. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Don’t tell anyone, just bring the money.”

“I don’t know how he does it, but I felt I had met an angel, or God Himself,” Ellowich said. “I don’t know how he hypnotized me. He probably makes a million dollars a day with that magic.”

Ellowich said he borrowed money from friends, one of whom demanded $7,000 in interest. “Then I came to him with the check and he said: ‘You’re late, but I’ll do it for you anyway.’ With the check in his hand, he stood up with this hood over his face where you see only his lips, and said in a loud voice in Hebrew: ‘I say to you, as you are standing here, that I, Rabbi Elazar Abuhatzeira, in the presence of Hezkel Roth and Menachem Ellowich and God, attest in the name of God that your daughter will be healed and will have children. You have nothing to worry about, it’s in my hands now.’”

Shortly after the blessing, his daughter met a young ultra-Orthodox man. “When they got married, Rabbi Abuhatzeira sent a message through his sexton that the miracle would take six months,” Ellowich said. But the months passed and nothing happened.

When the rabbi was next in New York, Ellowich went to see him to find out why the blessing had not been fulfilled. “He said to me, ‘why didn’t you invite me to the wedding? I told you then to come in five days and you were late. You brought the check at 3 P.M. Now you have to bring me another $100,000 in three days, and the promise will come true. You have a choice. Either bring me the money and you’ll have a baby, or don’t bring me the money and you won’t. Her husband will leave her and she won’t have children.’ I didn’t bring him the money. There were other people waiting in line, sick and depressed. He just takes control over you in a moment of despair, when you feel lost.”

But eventually Ellowich gave in and decided to pay. “I took another loan and went with my brother to Israel, to Be’er Sheva. The rabbi told me, ‘I promised your daughter she would have children and you have nothing to worry about.’” The rabbi gave Ellowich three bottles of wine and instructed him to drink one of them when his daughter gave birth to a son, as promised. “I’m keeping the bottle as evidence,” Ellowich said.

Two years passed, and still no pregnancy. “When the rabbi came to New York, I went to his agent and asked to see him. He said, ‘the rabbi doesn’t want to hear from you any more.’ I asked if my son-in-law could see him, and he answered, ‘if your son-in-law wants to see the rabbi, he’ll have to pay at least $500.’”

The son-in-law, Y., said the rabbi received him after a two-hour wait and took the check, which was made out to the “Avraham Avinu Association.” He said the rabbi told him, “‘If you want a son, go tell your wife’s father to give me $100,000. If not, your wife will never have children.’ He tore the check into three pieces, gave them to me and pushed me out the door.”

Ellowich said his son emerged shocked and crying from the meeting and told him Abuhatzeira had cursed him.

The curse in action

When Y. got home, his wife urged him to tell her what had happened. When he finally did, she began to cry. “In March 2008, after I went to work, she died,” Y. said.

“Ever since my daughter found out about the curse, she lost the will to live,” Ellowich said. “She would cry all day. She started to hemorrhage, she was depressed. The day I found her on the floor in the bathroom, I called an ambulance, but they couldn’t revive her. To the day she died, she carried the blessing around in her purse.”

The doctors said her daughter had died of an aneurysm, but Ellowich disagrees: “Rabbi Abuhatzeira killed my daughter and stole the money.”

Ellowich began a private war against Abuhatzeira, exploring and documenting the rabbi’s modus operandi. “He tells people, ‘I’m holy, I’m close to God.’” Ellowich said he has dozens of testimonies from people who say that within a few minutes, they were writing a check. He began taking a small tape recorder to his meetings with Abuhatzeira’s agents. He also demanded his money back, to no avail.

He approached a Jewish newspaper, a local Jewish politician and finally, the police, who opened a case against Abuhatzeira.

Ellowich admitted he is afraid and believes he is being followed.

He even went to see the rabbi’s brother, David Abuhatzeira, in Nahariya. “I don’t speak to him, he’s a rotten apple,” Ellowich quoted the brother saying of the kabbalist. Ellowich said other Israeli rabbis also told him Abuhatzeira is a “bad man.”

This year, for the first time, Abuhatzeira did not come on his annual December visit to Brooklyn.

Ellowich’s story recalls the pattern of behavior by Abuhatzeira that Haaretz detailed in a series of articles in 1997: He tries to impress people, persuades them to write a check in exchange for a blessing, obtains more money and threatens a curse if necessary.

Another man said his father paid Abuhatzeira for a blessing, but the rabbi threatened that if he married the woman he loved, he would have defective children. “That man and his gangsters have to be stopped,” the man said.

Meir G., from New Jersey, said he heard the rabbi could perform miracles. “When I met him for the first time, he described passionately how my life would change for the better. I was filled with joy and optimism. In summing up, the rabbi said these things would only come true if I paid him $100,000. At that point, it was impossible to refuse. That same day, I started sending him the money. At some point I couldn’t go on, and Mr. Harman [Abuhatzeira’s aide] threatened that if I stopped, ‘your son will die.’ I am a religious man and I took the threats very seriously. Since I met him, my life has been a disaster.”

M.V., 38, from Brooklyn, never filed a police complaint. But he did supply an affidavit stating that he had given more than $500,000 to Abuhatzeira in exchange for the promise of a baby that was never born. M.V., who has since gone into bankruptcy, said his wife and father will not let him complain because they are afraid of a curse. “But I don’t believe in the curse,” he said. “If his blessings were a fraud, so are the curses.”

M.V. said he met with the rabbi frequently in Be’er Sheva, and only slowly realized that his promises were hollow. “Abuhatzeira certainly has charisma. The way he says Kiddush, the way he preaches and sings, even the way he drinks whiskey and vodka with you.”

M.V. said he approached the Israeli tax authorities but has received no response. “If the cases were closed [in Israel], apparently he knows who to bribe. But I believe that up there, he’ll get what’s coming to him.”

Yakima, WA - A small Orthodox Jewish school forfeited a consolation game in a Washington state high school basketball tournament so players could safely observe a... Jerusalem - Twenty one-year-old Elad, who served in an Israel Defense Forces combat unit and resides in a kibbutz in southern Israel, has been dreaming about joining the...

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM Anonymous Says:

Hey if you beleive he has powers to curse,watch out fool.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM Anonymous Says:

Much of this pain is simply the result of dumb yidden under great stress because of personal tragedies who buy into these yiddeshe snakeoil salesmen who prey on thse victims who believe there is some mystical or magical quality of certain tfilot or objects that will yield greater results wiht the ebeshter than their own davening with kavanah from wherever they have to be located. There is no special yichus to emailing tfiliot over the internet to be put into kvitlach in th kosel or paying some chassid to say tehillim on your behalf at the kever of some gadol. This is borderline avodah zorah. Do your own davening with real feeling and the ebeshter will respond.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM does anyone have personal experience with him? Says:

Let us know here!

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM Anonymous Says:

unreal

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM mrs boro parker Says:

I remember Mr Ellowich's daughter as the most beautiful wonderful girl. There was a glow around her, her middos was something to talk about and her marriage and shalom bayis in h home was something that people noted and were in awe of.

Word is cheap and it is impossible to describe her characteristics in detail but those that knew her know only too well exactlyt we have lost - and that is bitter and painful.

Mr Ellowich did what any father would do if he had the means to do so, he did not leave a single stone unturned his zest in life was for his young couple's happiness and that their joy should be multiplied and fulfilled. unfortunately his desperation and anguish was exploited by those that know exactly when a person is at the most vulnerable, at the lowest ebb and when a "rabbi" promises that he has the power, he believe - because he had no other options.

I remember a family member telling me - of course they will have kids - they have a big bracha from someone notable.

May her family continue to gain the strength that they need and be comforted by the mourner of zion.

Gut shabbos.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM Passaicer Says:

This is an extreme example of rabbinic abuse, but rabbinic abuse on a smaller scale is actually extremely common.

Much more common than people realise.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM Anonymous Says:

This is heartbreaking. Although I've never actually gone to these "mekubalim" I understand why people are so desperate. I have been very close to desperate myself. I am shocked to read all these details. Why aren't these things publicized earlier?

Mr. Ellowich, I am so sorry for you & your family. What a terrible tragedy. And yes, even though there appears to be a medical reason for his daughter A"H death, I believe people die of misery & broken hearts. I have seen it in my own family.

I hope you find the peace you are searching for.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM Michael Says:

A whole bunch of lies from a broken person who suffered the loss of a daughter. Every holy rabbi blesses people in the merit of the tzedakah donation that they suggest. It is not a protection against the will of god. No one can promise to overturn god's will. Desperate people mistakenly confuse the donation and blessing for a guaranteed paid contract. I brought a friend for a blessing to this rabbi with the help of the aforementioned Cheskel Roth, and my friend got blessed without giving a red cent to the Rabbi. I don't blame the broken person for looking for someone to blame, but do not take everything at face value.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM Anonymous Says:

We have a Kabbala from many Gedolim (including Rav Shach and the Satmar Rov ZY"A) that anyone who demands money from those who don't have it for a bracha, is nothing more than a FRAUD! R' Yackov Hillel wrote and excellent Sefer on this subject, which has been translated into english as "Faith and Folly".

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM Anonymous Says:

$500,000???!!!!! There is no way in the world that anyone charging that kind of money for a blessing is a righteous or holy man, if he was righteous or holy he wouldn't charge for a blessing, he would want to help every Yid for free, even if the money would go for charity he wouldn't ask for so much money. This is in a way worse than the Tropper scandal, to take suck advantage of sick and desperate people. Hashem yishmor.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM Gabbai Says:

Michael Says:

Oh look, Abuchatzeira's gabbai is posting on VIN.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM Anonymous Says:

I feel sorry how could somebody be fooled like this he calls him self kabbala what to cheat and kill were the arlech geit rebbi

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM Passaic Says:

Oy Ribbono She'll Olam, how much longer will you allow these frauds to hide behind their "Rabbanus"?!

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM The Rebbe Says:

Look at the difference between this "Rabbi" and the Lubavitcher Rebbe. This "Rabbi" demanded large sums of money wheras the Lubavitcher Rebbe gave people a dollar to put in Tzedakah. Look who's Brochos actually worked.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM yossie Says:

Michael Says:

why do people go to him
i have been numerous times to the tzadik r dovid abuchatera shlita
he never asked for a penny
reb yackov meir schecter and others never ask for a penny

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM Anonymous Says:

He's not a mekubal, he's a MEKABEL!

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM Wise Man Says:

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM Anonymous Says:

A sucker is born every day. I once allowed a so called kabbalist to use my home here in flatbush so he can scam people. I wanted to see baloney with my own 2 eyes. This creep told a divorcee who came for a brocha to ask the owner of the house for 500 dollars so that she can pay him for her blessing. I was gonna break this Israeli menuval not mekubal legs,but I wanted to see more of his con artist activitys. This menuval attracted lots of sfardic and chassidic desperate people with situations and this looney tune told them that the reason they have problems because they closed windows.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM Anonymous Says:

He's not a mekubal, he's a MEKABEL!

16 that's a good one!

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM m&m Says:

Sound like this "Rabbi" is a complete SICKO, it makes my stomach turn reading this story. He has no power whatsoever. I believe the reason she died, is fom depression or whatever you calli it- All because she believed this nut job. Im sure there are other out there, PLEASE BEWARE

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM Lawyer Says:

Here is a suggestion. Take out a book Tehillim, and pray with a broken and contrite heart to the Master of the Universe that He should save you from your troubles. Costs nothing.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM Anonymous Says:

don't package The Satmar Rav zy"a together with Reb Schach.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:04 PM TheTruth Says:

"Gedolim" should be after these thieving "Mekubalim" - not R' Avi Weiss.
Who is a bigger threat to true Judaism?

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:14 PM GS Says:

May all who blessed be blessed - and may the opposite be as well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:16 PM Like Bilam Says:

Like Bilam harasha, may this Rabbi's curses become blessings.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:17 PM Anonymous Says:

This is a terrible story r'l. Please remember though that there are a few real mekubalim in this world, including Rabbi David Abuchatzeira (brother of this fraud in the story) and we should not use this to disrespect those very few and holy tzadikim.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:19 PM verite Says:

in these situations it is kedaii to be a litvak i heard about him from a mechutan and i immediately detected that he was a fraud all the stories i heard ended; had you listened this would not have or have happened had he predicted the outcome ahead of time meila but anybody can be a novi yesterday by the way did he ever win the lottery

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:25 PM Anonymous Says:

The Rebbe Says:

Same here. I have been to the Lubavitcher Rebbe's Ohel many times and my prayers have been answered all the time. I say a few kapitlech tehillim before I go in, give a little tzedaka, and then put in a kvittel.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:50 PM DizzyIzzy Says:

The Rebbe Says:

The whole "my rabbi is better than your rabbi" competition is moronic. But I think that unless it was written by a kid in kindergarten, this posting is especially foolish because the writer felt the need to compare the Lubavitcher Rebbe to this bastard con man. There are probably better reasons to revere the Rebbe.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:51 PM Anonymous Says:

don't package The Satmar Rav zy"a together with Reb Schach.

Bzayon Hatorah doesn't deserve a response. Kol Leztanusa Assur Chotz M"leztanusa D'Avoda Zara, V'Hameivin Yavin!

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:57 PM Anonymous Says:

to # 22...why not? they are both gedoilim! their differences don't matter anymore...they are both on a level above where you & I will ever be. don't discredit or insult any of them, or any real gadol for that matter, or u will b cursed by hashem himself. you don't have to agree w everything they represent to see the kedusha in both of them. be very careful what you say. that's my free warning...no $$ needed.

Feb 26, 2010 at 01:59 PM Wow Says:

The power of someone's last name.

Feb 26, 2010 at 02:06 PM DizzyIzzy Says:

TheTruth Says:

"Gedolim" should be after these thieving "Mekubalim" - not R' Avi Weiss.
Who is a bigger threat to true Judaism?

I'm sad to say that R' Avi Weiss, as sincere as he may be, may be doing irreparable damage to the fabric of Orthodox Judaism (Modern and otherwise). He is only adding to the considerable weakening of Orthodoxy's credibility that have been caused by Chareidi issues that have materialized over the past 20 years.

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:05 PM Moshe Says:

Reb Anshel Goldberger who lives across the street from minkuch gave the Satmar rabbi zt"l $10,000 (more than forty years ago like $1,00000 today) that he should be mispalel that his wife should have a refuah shlume she passed away some time later the holy rabbi summoned Reb Anshel to him after spending a long time comforting him on the loss of the mother of his children he opened the drawer of his desk and gave the $10,000 back just the way he gave it to the rabbi there are many more stories like this just 1 of the thousands of outstanding midos of this manhig hador

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:16 PM OMG Says:

The trust that people placed in this person is appalling .May all frauds continue to be uncovered and "dealt with" here and in shamayim. May the curses of evil be turned into simcha (when justice is served)How dare. Shame on them.

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:24 PM oysh... Says:

our rav always says do not give anybody a penny...and we listen because he's right you never know who's a scam artist...there is a rabbi in our area who calls us time to time asking for money for his kollel.....he has mamish such a chutzpah....we don't give him anything.....i deep down believe he's a scam artist.....and just to let you know we haven't a don't plan too......we are proud to say we have our rav who paskened this......
we mamish feel so bad for this man who was mamish scammed by this idiot....we think that he should be in jail.....i don't even call him a rabbi, he's mamish a ganev who should be in jail sitting in a prison cell with madoff......why aren't they arresting him yet.......they mamish have a lot of proof......

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:37 PM Anonymous Says:

yep. sounds like a thick storm of bad will comes when people think they can bribe god with money. better off you do a mitzvah to help someone, such as visiting the sick, rather then give money.

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:38 PM Anonymous Says:

don't package The Satmar Rav zy"a together with Reb Schach.

Why not?!?! You should find yourself a video of R Aron Kotlers levaya and see the bitter wailing from R Yoel during his hesped. And then read about the machlokesin they had. And then maybe you can learn some derech eretz.

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:42 PM Anonymous Says:

Tameem Tiheyeh Im Hashem Eloikecha

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:44 PM a yid Says:

don't package The Satmar Rav zy"a together with Reb Schach.

which one don't you like

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:46 PM Anonymous Says:

Michael Says:

Has the thought crossed anyone else's mind, to name poster #8 as a defendant in this case, since has admited right here in his post, to have brought people to get scammed?

"Lav Achbara Ganva, Ele chora (charah)".

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Moshe Says:

Unfortunatly, for every story like yours there are 1,000 scams by other rebbes. Best thing is not to go to any Rebbe who accepts money for a brucha.

Feb 26, 2010 at 03:59 PM Anonymous Says:

You should take some time to open up the bible. Or if you would have even gone to shul just yesterday, you would have heard "Vayechal MOSHE es pnei Hashem" not "veyechal shmerel". Or as it states in tehillim "Lulei Moshe bechiro.........lehoshiv chamoso mehashchis."

It is Kosuv Betorah, Shonui beneviim, umeshulash beksuvim, m'vuar bduchtei tuvah bshas umedrash, that when one needs rachamim one should ask a tzaddik to daven on their behalf. It takes someone who's deeply buried in his own gasus haruach to think that with all his deficiencies he can pick up a siddur and get the same results as one who's entire life is devoted to Avodas Hashem Bemesiras nafsho.

Feb 26, 2010 at 04:08 PM seen it all Says:

Passaicer Says:

Much more common than people realise.

IMHO, you're wrong. I deal with rabbonim on a daily basis and an overwhelming majority are truly servants of the people who spend day and night helping and counseling people. Unfortunately the rotten apples like this jerk ruin it for everyone.

A prominent rov once told me that after every din Torah, 50% of the people walk out and curse him and 50% walk out and tell everyone he is a great understanding pragamtic rov v'ain digmoisoi b'chol ho'olam.

This story just proves P.T. Barnum's line, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Feb 26, 2010 at 04:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Its a shame what happen this mekubil took advantage on people who need help to help him self and take every thing what man had in savings I m sick about this were are all rebbes how come they don't. Say any thing and they know about that what this mekubil was doing taing yiddish gelt

Feb 26, 2010 at 05:07 PM Anonymous Says:

Michael Says:

Do not believe in a person (human being) in the first place! Believe in Hashem. Be Mispallel (Pray), give Tzedakah, as much as you like giving, and be honest with yourself. You will be alright. Those charlatans (he isn't the first one, nor the last) prey (as opposed to "Pray") on desperate people. They deserve to be thrown in jail.

Feb 26, 2010 at 05:07 PM lawyer Says:

A balanced approach would be to create an escrow account, if the bracha works, the Rabbi gets the dough, if not, he doesn't. Of course you will need to hire a lawyer to set this up and he/she will take a fee no matter what happens.

Feb 27, 2010 at 03:06 PM Sensible Says:

oysh... Says:

mamesh mamesh mamesh......... Is mamesh your middle name? Why don't you learn English?
Scams are terrible things and I hope no one falls prey to one but that does not give us anexcuse to close our doors to zedakah completely. Yes, we may scrutinize collecters and moisdos to try and weed out the bogus ones but it must be done in a respectful manner.
Don't forget if we give others the benefit of the doubt we might earn ourselves just one more chance when OUR day of judgement arrives.

Feb 27, 2010 at 03:43 PM Tanna Kamma Says:

It takes a real moron to believe that $$ buys you a child, why didn't he pour the money into medical treatment instead??

Feb 27, 2010 at 05:02 PM Anonymous Says:

Michael Says:

Elazar Abihatzira is in the extortion and fraud business thirty years that I know of. He has a bunch of hitmen in Israel who back him up. Why he hasn't been convicted before now is a wonder to me.

Feb 27, 2010 at 05:06 PM Anonymous Says:

Moshe Says:

Please don't compare those two in any way. The Satmar Ruv never asked for money. R Anshil gave him. Abihazira demands money up front.

Feb 27, 2010 at 05:48 PM Anonymous Says:

stay away from mekubalim period "lo meduvshach velo meuktzach".we have great tzadikkim to ask berochos from.
I went to a mekubel in beit shean .we called the mekubal's house before and we were told that he's napping.We told the gabbai that we are american students and this would be our only chance to meet him.He said alright come over.He came out with his pajamas and he gave us a bracha .we all gave him shekalim some gave 100 shekel i gave 50 . After studying the currency he said in hebrew "eifo hakesef americai".We excused ourselves and dashed for the door afraid he might curse us.
Another mekubal from leon france stayed by a friend I was invited to come for a bracha . I went with my wife and baby daughter.The mekubal eager to show off his ruach hakodesh said pointing at the baby ,hes a boy right .I said no shes a girl.Then he said you live here .I said no I live in yerushalaim.And then i said (to myself )thats strike two ,strike three and your out.
stay away you can get more hurt than helped.
one has to be mevarer where the money goes does he have institutions of torah or not if not he is pasol meikro.
If the money he takes has no justific

Feb 27, 2010 at 08:32 PM Anonymous Says:

All of this reminds us that yiddeshkeit is really about a one-on-one relationship between yidden and Hashem and all this mumbo jumbo about paying intermediaries davening on hour behalf, spending thousands of dollars for a remote baracha or email kvitlach to the kosel, wasting money to travel to the kevorim of gadolim etc. are really for goyim. Daven where you are, with kavanah, and the Ebeshter will hear and respond.

Feb 27, 2010 at 09:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Don't get it ? Was these Ellowvich's daughter sick ? That he went to get a blessing ? I am A strong believer in plain simple T'hilim ,if hashem wants nebech to give someone a "TZURE" no money in the world could change that, and only real "TFILE "can help it sure did all these rears , so to ask and to give someone 100's and 1000's of dollars is highway robbery

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM chaim Says:

all you fools any one that forces some one to give money for a bracha is a crook
the lubavitcher rebbe never forcet any one to give money for a bracha dont be fooled by these crooks

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Anonymous Says:

Giving a KVITAL to a TZADIK with a PIDYON, does not guarantee a YESHUHA. A Rav has a stronger power to pray and ask for a Yashuha. You most be a believer in G-d and the Rav for him to be able to be MISPALLEL for you, and to break a GEZARO RAHA . With all the Teffilos we need big SAYOTO DISHMOYHA. You give a Pidyon as much as you can afford, and want. Don't fall for all the big promises that will put you in bankruptcy.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM Anonymous Says:

don't package The Satmar Rav zy"a together with Reb Schach.

The Satmar Rav zy"a and Rav Schach were both absolute Tzaddikim.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM destro613 Says:

there is a reason why a mkubal is called that
they mikabel your money!!! nothing else

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM Anonymous Says:

The Satmar Rav zy"a and Rav Schach were both absolute Tzaddikim.

There is NO such thing as "absolute Tazaddikim", whether in the Satmar, chabad or any other chassidus. Both Rabbis Joel Teitelbaum and Eliezer Schach were both great talmedei chachamim and yirei shamayim but no one is
"perfect" or "absolute" in terms of being a tzaddik including these two rabbis.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM Anonymous Says:

DizzyIzzy Says:

The last 20 years??? Nothing changed in the last 20 years besides the internet which allows people to bypass the censored official newspapers that have brought these issues to the fore. No wonder the Rabonim are against the internet.

Feb 28, 2010 at 01:50 AM Moshe Says:

"perfect" or "absolute" in terms of being a tzaddik including these two rabbis.

the satmar rabbi ztl was a mishlam bchol hamolos it is no wonder even though he had less time to learn then the rest of the gedolim reb moshe ztl said there is nobody in our door who know the entire torah like reb joel ztl that is called haba lther masayim oso

Feb 28, 2010 at 03:33 AM Anonymous Says:

when you have to pay someone for a blessing, even the so called biggest rabbi on earth, it's unreal and abusive,

Feb 28, 2010 at 06:54 AM Anonymous Says:

you guys are all crazy! do you not believe in Hashem? obviously Hashem decided that the girls time was up, !!! This man is in major need of working on his EMUNAH!!! We go to a rabbi for a b'racha and we hope in the merit of the Rabbi, Hashem will answer his tefilos but lets not forget who is running this world!!!!!The Rabbi can throw in a good word for us, but Hashem is the ultimate decision maker in this world......and the fact that he gave the rabbi 100,000 dollars and went into major debt, then its his own problem. most normal ppl. wouldn't go into debt for a beracha.....so stop speaking badly about these rabanim, there is an inyan of zechus avos! He is BABA SALI"s grandson!!

Feb 28, 2010 at 07:52 AM Anonymous Says:

why did this man go for a brocha before the daughter was married? she wasnt that old why would he give such an enormous amount of money? Is he all there????

Feb 28, 2010 at 08:58 AM Michael Says:

"Lav Achbara Ganva, Ele chora (charah)".

I am not hiding, as I submitted my name and email address, as I mentioned before the person who I brought to the rabbi got a blessing without giving a penny to the rabbi, and after he was helped by the rabbis blessing he went on his own to israel to thank the rabbi, I have no idea if he gave any donation at all when he went to thank him in israel. Also as I said earlier, I just asked Chezkel Roth who I knew that he was helped by this rabbi if I can bring a friend for a blessing and he just told my where and when to meet and he told the rabbi what my friend was there to ask for and the rabbi just gave a blessing, there was never any mention of money.

Feb 28, 2010 at 09:00 AM It takes 2 Says:

While I feel bad for those who were scammed I reallyy don't understand how people can be so stupid. I'm a lot younger than a lot of those who were scammed yet it is common sense to me that a real Tzaddik doesn't extort money out of people. Even if a
Tzaddik needs money he asks for a few $1000 from those who have it. Who heard of these huge amounts? This is like a bernie madoff.

Feb 28, 2010 at 09:23 AM Moish Says:

Rabbi Yaakov Abuhatzeira had four sons. What a shame that we only speak about the one that fell to the wayside; the other three are great talmudai chachomim in their own right. There is no reason to shame the family any further. The three brothers know who they have and are currently not in speaking terms. The word we are all looking for is “Vigilant”; and anyone who has gone to the other three brothers know that you can come and go without leaving one penny and they will greet you with a smile when you leave as well. You might have to wait a few hours to see them but it’s well worth the wait. If we would all believe in ourselves instead of looking for shortcuts things would look a lot different. All we really need is to look up hight , because we know “ Ein Oyd Milvado”

Feb 28, 2010 at 09:26 AM Just like Kupat Ha-Ir Says:

Sounds alot like Kupat Ha-Ir - give them $ and your troubles are solved.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM Anonymous Says:

I know a first hand account of someone who was a terrible sinner (rasha) who went to see rav elazar abuchatzeira in Brooklyn, N.Y. rav elazar greeted everyone that day for 6 hours. when this person came in to see the rav he took one look at the person and immediately put his head very far down, withdrew into himself and refused to even look at the person. He even embarrassed the person so that they would leave. it was obvious the Rav was suffering from the impurity from that persons sins. now if the rav did this while he was a guest in someone else's home it means all he cares about is doing hashem's will and could care less about his own kavod. now if the rav was a fraud don't you think this kind of behavior would prevent people from coming to him which he wouldn't want because then he can't take their money? Now does that sound like a charlatan to you who just wants to take people's money?

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM Anonymous Says:

I don't under stand were all the other rebbis don't call eliaszer bachtzary to stop defrauding so many people he is makeing bad for all other frum people. All rebbis wake up and stop this abachzary what he doing makeing a chullil hashem

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM Anonymous Says:

you people are soooo ignorant. there is a story of the baba sali who refused to see a person unless that person gave the baba sali $50,000. the baba sali said that he saw in ruach hakodesh that this person stole $50,000 from his business partner. so i guess the baba sali was a fraud too for asking for that money. what you people don't understand is that there is such thing as midat hadin and midat harachamin. most kabbalists are midat hadin and rebbes (like the satmer rebbe) are midat harachamim. so when a person goes to a rebbe even if the person has many sins the rebbe will most probably give him a blessing for free. not so the kabbalist because the kabbalist holds the person accountable his sins. and there's such a thing as tikunnim. you people have no idea the tikkunim these people who were supposedly defrauded need. but don't dare just start saying that rav elazar abuchatzeira is a fraud. he is the real deal. you people understand nothing and run your mouths based on this understanding. the fact that rav david abuchatzeira calls his brother a rotton apple means nothing. it is known that rav shach would call the lubavitcher rebbe an apikorous this is too shut the satan up

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:49 AM Anonymous Says:

I asking why tis mekubil take so much money he dosent give to nobody just fr himself has no yeshiva has just apalace with gold disheis and gold slipper. He has no pitty

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM Anonymous Says:

Thetruth will come out soon how all his gabuiam live wealth. And the rich big home from the mikubil money what he splits up when they bring victims who need yeshua and they robbed and fooled

Feb 28, 2010 at 01:15 PM Anonymous Says:

Moshe Says:

You probarly mean this

Rabbi Ephraim Greenblatt of Memphis, Tennessee, shlita, [a big talmid chocham] a talmid muvhak of Reb Moshe Feinstein, zatzal, told VIN News in a different interview that when he asked Reb Moshe who to consult on Torah learning, he was told, "go to Reb Yoelish—he has kol hatorah kulah in his head and knows more than anyone from this generation." Rabbi Greenblat told VIN news that when he first met the satmarer rabbi after the advice of his rabbi, he was mesmerized of the Bekias Hatorah of Reb Yolish.

Feb 28, 2010 at 08:05 PM 100021 Says:

It is stories of cynical,calculating, fraud and deception by so-called 'mekubalim' that push the doubting and hesitant 'baalei teshuva' right back into the clutches of secular Jews.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM moshe kamm Says:

hey where did you get your knowledge from. A mad magazine.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Where is the world to let a elazr abuhetetzeiri get away with such a crime where the isreli gov.wake up tell your freinds to be aware from such evil people

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM Anonymous Says:

hey maybe this rabbi with his millions of dollars paid people to go online to try and repair his reputation..It wont work .

Mar 01, 2010 at 02:19 AM Anonymous Says:

actually i'm trying to repair you not the rabbi. because you're going to need plenty of repairing for your soul for talking bad and believing people who are motzei shem rah (because you automatically accept the version of defamers and you have no interest in what really happened with these accusations) about a talmid chacham and great tzaddik. all you have is one side of the story and of course that's enough for you to disgrace a rav. you just use any excuse to disgrace kabbalists even if they are the real deal and the accusations against them are bogus. even if you don't believe the rabbi is the real deal you at least have the obligation to give him kaf zchus benefit of the doubt as you must any jew. so any way you look at it you are in violation of many torah prohibitions (not that you care)

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:41 AM Anonymous Says:

i dont understand why do you beleive that he cursed your daughter and it was mekuyem if he is fraud then he is fraud in every way for good and for bad? please explain

Mar 01, 2010 at 03:55 PM Anonymous Says:

yes, that's exactly what i was thinking. all these accusations are filled with contradictions because they are all bogus. this Menachem Ellowich seems like he has lost his mind. he lost his daughter and his money and is basically going mad. while we cannot judge him because he is doing this out of tremendous pain and it is understandable. but does it make logical sense to try and bury a kabbalist who you are 100% sure killed your daughter with his curse. wouldn't you be afraid he will curse you and the rest of your family if you try to bury him. it sounds like menachem was obsessed with his daughter. after all what kind of nut hands over $100,000 that he doesn't have to give for a blessing for his daughter who wasn't even married yet.
everyone is badmouthing the rabbi based on this menachem's (and others)one sided story. i really think menachem isn't telling the whole story just whatever makes the rabbi look bad. so good going everyone you are badmouthing a rav based on the story version of someone who's gone over the edge.

Mar 01, 2010 at 04:43 PM Anonymous Says:

Did he have 'feeders' who brought people to him - possible for a percentage?

Mar 01, 2010 at 07:14 PM meir Says:

There are many victims who went trough the same story they all are comeing to court to testify let the world see what he is and all he did. Just wait and see. This is only a tip of the iceberg

Mar 01, 2010 at 09:45 PM Anonymous Says:

Chevra, you all have good points. No, we are not followers of this person but are family friends of Chezkle Roth, a big follower of Reb Elazar, who was blessed with a son Yoli after 21 years of marriage. When Yoli was about 5, he and his wife were blessed with a daughter Chana. Two years ago, about Shavous time, when Reb Abuchatzeira was in Boro Park and staying in the Roth apartment, Chezkl had a massive heart attack. His only hope was a transplant. His wife wanted to come to U.S.. Reb Elazar told her to stay home and take care of the children and he will take care of Chezkl. B"H, Chezkle had a complete recovery. There is a Flatbush baker owner , a friend of Chezkle also got a Brocha from Reb Elazar and was blessed with a child and more after over 20 years of marriage. No, Chezkle Roth is not a person who has alot of money.

Mar 01, 2010 at 10:58 PM f g Says:

The truth will come out the end of crook he is cought for over 20 years he manipulad people innocent broken hearted people they where all robbed all the money was taken away only for a phoney blessing. How it the world do you take 100.000 dollars answer this

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:13 PM Anonymous Says:

If a robber come in the store to rob you you say don't punish because its bashert. So you let crook go on robbing more victims. He must pay for his actions

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:19 PM Anonymous Says:

You will soon be answered when the rest of his fraud will be put on the table just have pations.

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:28 PM Anonymous Says:

All evidence will be put on the table soon just wait a little more and you will see evidence of a crime. God sees evry thing so does cameras see.

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:42 PM Anonymous Says:

$10,000 for a blessing?? Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe G_d didn't bless for a reason???? 21st century and these mental midget in their closed 1700 century society still believe in curses and blessings? sheeeshhhh

Mar 02, 2010 at 01:05 PM Jimmy37 Says:

The first clue of a fraud is someone who praises themselves and requires money to give a brocha.

Mar 02, 2010 at 03:31 PM Anonymous Says:

Jimmy37 Says:

may g_d listen to the pain he causes and all the suffering he gives and all victims who fell in with elazar abuhetzeira from beer sheva come out and tell you story victims dont be shy ...... you will save another victim ..... from falling in ..... ..rabbi chaim konevsky ........gave out a warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........dont go to him or meet him in any way

Mar 03, 2010 at 04:56 AM Anonymous Says:

really ? rav chaim kanievsky said specifically not to meet rav elazar abuchatzeira. when did he say this?

Mar 04, 2010 at 07:08 PM Anonymous Says:

A sick man came to abuhetzeira and told him he sick abuhetzeira took fro the young 15000 dollars and the man gave it to him after man left he saw he was ripped off he ran to rabbi chaim konevsky and told him the story he told him stop the check right away and gave strict warning. Not to go to abuhezeira or loo k at him after this story he said I give a warning don't dare go to this faker . Beaware.

Mar 07, 2010 at 08:16 PM Anonymous Says:

It brings tears to my eyes to read such as story. Anyone that knows a bit about Judaism should know that only g-d can guarantee things. Rabbis are not magicians - ie. they cannot snap their fingers and solve problems. Now, there are certain rabbis such as Rabbi Elazar Abuchatzeira (who I happen to know personally) whom have dedicated their lives to the study of Torah. Through the study of Torah, they are able to get closer to g-d. There is no question that Rabbi Elazar does have spiritual powers along with the ability to make change things but nothing is ever guaranteed. Nobody knows what really knows what went on behind the scenes. Rabbi Elazar Abuchatzeira is one of the leading rabbis of the generation and I highly doubt any of this is true.

Mar 07, 2010 at 10:47 PM Anonymous Says:

the world should know evry person who went to elazar abuhetzeira got robbed big time ....... the amounts 26000$..... 52000$ ....and 100;000 dollars if you dont beleive it look in the account of elazar abuhetzeira and all the victims

Mar 09, 2010 at 10:47 PM Anonymous Says:

In the end the theive is hanged

Mar 09, 2010 at 10:44 PM Anonymous Says:

Elazar abuhetzeira is a conartist a theif the last 20 years made people. Broke and destroyed people who are depressed in the end the world will see his crime and will pay heavy what he. Did any body who is close to him got robbed ask al his followers how much he took from them till they will wake up and see their bank book empty. May god take justice for his crimes may he pay heavy for all the suffering he caused to all his victims.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:31 AM Deborah Shaya Says:

Who to go to for a Bracha

1. The best person to go to for a bracha is: a true Cohen.

Hashem passes His Beracha to the Kohen. And only a true Kohen can pass the full Bracha from Hashem to all of Am Yisrael - for material and spiritual blessing.

In ancient times, where there would be a difference of opinion between the Melech and the Cohen, the Melech, the King, would always have to defer to the Cohen.

This demonstrates the extremely high stature of the Kohen.

Apr 08, 2010 at 09:26 AM Eliyahoo William Dwek Says:

When ‘dayanim’, ‘rabbis’ and false ‘mekubalim’ use the Torah for their own power and commercial profit, this behaviour is utterly abhorrent.

No other ‘rabbi’ will ever act against another ‘rabbi’ - even when he knows his colleague is clearly desecrating the Torah. Each rabbi is only worried about losing his own position.

Therefore, the ‘rabbi’, ‘dayyan’ or false ‘mekubal’ will never effect justice. And he will never truly stand for the Torah or the Honour of Hashem. His pocket will always prevail.

The Torah must never be used for commercial gain and profit. Am Yisrael can only be lead by those who have the necessary love and respect of Hashem and the Torah.

Jul 31, 2011 at 04:47 AM Anonymous Says:

Can you provide some evidence of this? My suspicions are raised, but it is against halacha to believe any of the things written here. Few are first-hand experiences. He has a Yeshiva and the money could very well be used to fund that. He charged some and not others. There are many great real Rabbanim, Admorim that charge for pidyon. Admittedly these figures here are huge. He cannot be incriminated on the basis of anything said here since it is all heresay. If you don't want to give money, then don't give. There are many fonies out there; one should be careful. DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME PROOF OF WHAT RAV KANIEVSKY, SHELITA or ANY OF THE OTHER ABUCHATZERA ADMORIM SAID with regards to being able to trust him???

Sep 25, 2015 at 02:18 PM brsigi Says:

I am sorry but I cannot believe this story. Rav Elazar Abouchatzera was a holy man with very strong values. Daily he would open his house in Beer Sheva to feed the poor and he would give baby food and baby supplies to couples who could not afford them. He had a big heart and he was a loving man. He always encouraged those who would come to see him to keep Shabbat and to learn Torah. His death was a great loss to us all. We will miss him sorely.