Israel - Country's First Kidney Transplant Involving 2 Different Blood Types

Published on: March 21, 2010 09:51 PM
By:  Haaretz

Petah Tikva, Israel - Doctors at Beilinson Hospital performed the country’s first kidney transplant involving a donor and recipient with different blood types - a breakthrough that could increase kidney transplants involving live donors by 40 percent.

The kidney recipient was Ortal Mahlev, 18. The Herzliya resident, who has type B blood, received the kidney from her father, 51-year-old Shlomo Mahlev, who has type A blood.

“Blood type indicators are antibodies found on red blood cells and on the internal lining of blood vessels, and they attack a foreign blood type that enters the body,” said Dr. Alexander Yusim, who heads the Renal Transplantation Unit and Nephrology Institute at Beilinson.

Yusim’s team of doctors carried out the transplant by neutralizing the antibodies, he said.

The method for neutralizing the antibodies takes at least two weeks, making it impossible to use for patients who need a new kidney immediately.

The procedure is based on technology developed a decade ago in Japan, where organs are rarely transplanted from dead bodies due to restrictions of the ancient Japanese Shinto religion. Western doctors, particularly in the United States, Germany and Sweden, subsequently began using the method.

Nearly 700 Israelis are awaiting a kidney transplant, but medical officials believe 40 percent of those suffering from kidney failure have so far been unable to receive the organ from their relatives due to differing blood types.

Last year 83 kidneys were transplanted from dead donors and 69 from live donors.

The transplant process involves several stages, said Yusim.

“First the recipient’s blood is transferred into a machine that executes a blood plasma fractionation, a method whereby blood is broken up into red blood cells that are later re-inserted into the body and the blood serum which contains the antibodies that are removed from the body,” he said. “The serum is then replaced by a protein with water solubility (albumin). The body is then injected with gamma globulin in order to prevent the antibodies from acting.”

In the next stage, the patient is injected with a chemical preparation known as rituximab, which neutralizes B white blood cells that manufacture new antibodies. Doctors can implant the organ from a donor with a different blood type after the process is repeated three or four times and the number of antibodies falls to zero or nearly zero.

Washington - Summoned to success by President Barack Obama, the Democratic-controlled Congress approved historic legislation Sunday night extending health care to tens... Oswiecim, Poland - More than 200 documents on the Nazi SS which ran the Auschwitz death camp have been found in an attic of a house in a nearby Polish town, the PAP news...

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM is there a doctor in the house? Says:

In this process where they shut down the recipiemts immune system, does the recipient need immunosuppersants for the est of their lives?

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM Kidney Donor f& Kidney Matchmaker from Boro Park & Says:

This is a breakthrough for Israel!

Great hospital! I had made 2 kidney matches at this hospital in Israel. Both went very well, Boruch Hashem. Both donors in both matches were originally from the USA. One of the donors was a mother of 12 children.

I hope more people will come forward to donate a kidney here, Israel, and world wide as there is a great shortage of kidneys and many people have died waiting for a kidney.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM Anonymous Says:

is there a doctor in the house? Says:

most likely yes or else the body will reject the organ. It's a balancing act for the doctors.

Mar 22, 2010 at 01:02 AM Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

People who receive a kidney have to be on anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their life, regardless of the type of treatment, prior to their kidney transplant. People who donate a kidney do not have to be on any medication or any special diet..

Mar 22, 2010 at 01:07 AM Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

One of the major causes of kidney failure is diabetes. Another cause can be high blood pressure. Everyone who is overweight/obese, eat healthy, exercise, lose weight, as it is a great Mitzvah to take care of our health. Eat high fiber, low fat foods (except some olive oil ok and a moderate consumption of nuts) and avoid fried, oily foods. Always consult a doctor first.

Mar 22, 2010 at 08:08 AM so sad Says:

amazing that a majority of those who need these life saving transplants need them because of preventable causes like diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure due to diet, etc.

Mar 22, 2010 at 08:35 AM Anonymous Says:

Kidney donor matchmaker, how long ago did you do it and how are you doing today?

Mar 22, 2010 at 09:08 AM Anonymous Says:

#6, actually, even though in many instances it may have been preventable, usually it is not. High Blood Pressure and Adult onset diabitis is a result of other medical issues as well. Many cannot be prevented. Most kidney patients cannot stop the disease or have a choice as many have hereditary diseases (as is more common among frum). Of course those that can should lead healthy lives and eat healthy. But don't blame soneone- that is plain mean. We are known by three traits, one being "rachmanim". Donr give that up.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM Anonymous Says:

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

I donated a kidney in September 2005. Boruch Hashem, I am doing great. No change in my health. Life is the same with one kidney as with two. In fact, my createnine level is exactly the same now with one kidney as it was with two! Boruch Hashem!

Mar 22, 2010 at 01:19 PM Anonymous Says:

If you go to the Mayo Clinic website and look under causes of chronic kidney failure it lists diabetes and high blood pressure and other causes. I try to help people who need a kidney and when people contact me that they need a kidney, when I ask them what caused their kidney failure, a high percentage tell me diabetes. Ocassionally, but not often, they also tell me high blood pressure. PKD- Polycystic Kidney Disease is genetic and it is also one of the reasons why one would need a kidney.and there is nothing they can do, to prevent that diesease, loaleinu. You are right that you cannot stop kidney disease once you have it, but people in many cases can prevent getting diabetes and high blood pressure, but sometimes that is genetic too. Not blaming anyone here and I have plenty of rachamim, as otherwise, I would not be voluteering a good deal of time trying to save lives of those who are in need of a kidney without getting paid for this.

Mar 22, 2010 at 01:39 PM Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

In an article on a website, "Parent your Parents" dated today, article called "10 Facts About High Blood Pressure and Chronic Kidney Disease" says "uncontrolled high blood pressue is the second leading cause of kidney failure in the United States and one of the most common problems that can seriously harm the kidneys. Severe high blood pressure can harm kidney function over a relatively short period of time. However, even mild forms of high blood pressure damage kidneys over several years. High blood pressure usually causes no symptoms in its early stages"

Mar 22, 2010 at 03:34 PM Anonymous Says:

A relative of mine donated a kidney last week. He was released from the hospital the following day and was cleared for travel overseas before pesach. The procedures they use now greatly reduce the impact to the donor.

Mar 22, 2010 at 05:15 PM Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

Wow - what great news about your relative who donated a kidney last week! Wish to hear more such stories! I know there are at least 2 hospitals in New York where donors can go home the next day. .

One of the kidney matches I made, the donor also left the next day. And she didn't have any pain at all after her kidney donation surgery. It is normal to have some pain. And the person she donated a kidney to didn't have any pain after having his kidney transplant which was even more amazing. This was at Mt. Sinai.

My brother who also donated a kidney had only a little pain after his kidney donation, and that same day, later on, he was walking around the hospital like nothing happened! He donated a kidney at Downstate.

Montefiore now also keeps donors for only 1 day. That's the hospital where I had donated a kidney. Dr. Greenstein, who is a Shomer Shabbos kidney transplant surgeon there is not just a great surgeon, but a a very special person.

Mar 22, 2010 at 06:51 PM yeapb Says:

1. In my case, the steroids I am on long term because of kidney failure (both of my original kidneys and my transplanted one) are what has caused my diabetes and high blood pressure!
2. My mother is currently undergoing tests to ensure she is healthy enough to donate one of her kidneys to me - she is so desperate to see me well again that she is willing to do it through regular surgery and not wait longer for the laparascopic surgeon! I am incredibly lucky to have a mother like her and I will have to love her forever after this!

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

yeapb Says:

Wow - sorry to hear about your needing a kidney - you have a wonderful mother, Boruch Hashem and hope she will be determined to be healthy enough to donate a kidney! If not, if you like, contact me and perhaps someone who is reading this who is interested in donating a kidney, will come forward as well. My website is Kidney Mitzvah.com. You can e-mail me through my website, as I am not sure I am allowed to put in the comment here my e-mail address.

Hatzlacha and Refuah Shelaimah!

- Chaya

Mar 23, 2010 at 07:07 PM Anonymous Says:

Kidney Donor from Boro Park Says:

Hatzlacha and Refuah Shelaimah!

- Chaya

Thanks, my sister, who is not the same blood type, is another option so I am boruch Hashem not without any choice at the moment but I will keep it in mind - thanks so much!

May 08, 2010 at 01:28 PM Anonymous Says:

hi. my name is yair yacoby and i live in the us. my brother has a diabetes for 31 years he is a 53 years old, he started dialesess a 1 year ego he been safering most of his life going in and out of hospitals, he is father for 3 kids and 3 granchildren, he is the most amazing man totaly a good man even do he is sick he allways be thair for evrybody. my family love him so moch and we r so afraid.
he need a kidney and is a long time waiting in israel. what can we do please help.
thank you yair yacoby, my email www.ahighspeed@aol.com