Ramallah - Palestinians use Cash, Facebook for Currency

Published on: March 6, 2011 11:22 PM
By: Read more at Earth Times News

Ramallah - Go through your wallet some day and you might see a surprise. Along with Queen Elizabeth on a British pound, George Washington on the US dollar or Jewish leaders on the Israeli shekel, you might see something new.

It could be “Free Palestine” engrained across those familiar images.

The new message is the product of a new non-violent resistance campaign by Palestinian protesters against Israel’s occupation. With the help of Facebook, its organizers said they hope to turn it into a worldwide movement, and it is one of many attempts by Palestinian groups to use the social-networking site to get out their message.

The most recent campaign was launched Saturday with one 50- shekel (13.80-dollar) note across which appeared the handwritten slogan in big black letters. Before long, organizers said, they hope “Free Palestine” will show up on paper currency everywhere.

Israeli shekels are used in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, but the initiative, defined as an “everywhere campaign,” has quickly spread around the world.

“No matter what country you are from, no matter what currency you use, every time you get any note, write on it in pen or permanent marker ‘Free Palestine,’” the Facebook page said. “This message must be spread far and wide.”

One day after being launched, another Facebook page showed photos of Indonesian rupiahs, euros and US dollars stamped with the message.

Queen Elizabeth II seems to be shouting the slogan on a 20-pound (32.53-dollar) note while a note of 20 Canadian dollars (20.54 US dollars) also demands “Stop the Gaza blockade.”

The three organizers said they have a “firm belief in non-violent national resistance.”

“This is a simple, creative, non-violent, innovative way to resist” against Israeli occupation, they said.

“This is an ingenious way of sending a vital message to so many people,” a statement said on the Facebook page. “Just ‘Free Palestine’ will sit in people’s heads. Some will look into it more. Some won’t. This vital message will reach people on something that is handled in every part of the globe each and every day.”

Read more in Earth Times News

New York - Parts of upstate New York are buried under up to 20 inches of heavy snow, with freezing rain, sleet and 30-mph winds added to the mix, forcing scores of... Madison, WI - Playing a game of political chicken, Democratic senators who fled Wisconsin to stymie restrictions on public-employee unions said Sunday they planned to...

Mar 06, 2011 at 11:27 PM Benny Says:

We should also write on them "free Israel from terrorists and palestinians"

Mar 06, 2011 at 11:31 PM Anonymous Says:

i don't agree with the campaign but i must admit it is good strategy

Mar 06, 2011 at 11:48 PM mtl514 Says:

Smart idea, from now on every bill that goes thru my hands I will mark on it "stop muslim terrorist"
Who wants to join me?

Mar 07, 2011 at 01:12 AM bookman Says:

It reminds me of the J for J campaign of the 70's which had banners all over that said "we found it". When Chabad came out with a counter campaign of "we never lost it" they quickly stopped their campaign. Perhaps we can have a campaign with words like "the chosen land to the chosen people".

Mar 07, 2011 at 05:59 AM Chaim_Ben-Yehuda Says:

mtl514 Says:

Who wants to join me?

No thank you. Defacing the currency is a Federal offense.

Mar 07, 2011 at 07:31 AM Anonymous Says:

mtl514 Says:

Who wants to join me?

What about "STOP ARAB TERRORISM". People equate muslims with arabs and they paint a larger picture.

Go to Staples and order the stamps. Then go into the printing business!!

Mar 07, 2011 at 07:39 AM Berl Says:

mtl514 Says:

Who wants to join me?

great idea, we could also add the words from terrorists
Free Palestine from Terrorists

Mar 07, 2011 at 08:00 AM Anonymous Says:

The situation in Israel is impossible. I'm sorry to say at this point we need to let the leaders of Israel handle this situation to the best of their abilities.

Mar 07, 2011 at 08:16 AM The-Macher Says:

Defacing US currency is a crime. I hope that if anyone pulls this shtick in the US, that merchants will report them to the Secret Service. This way they will be investigated for ties to terror as well.

Mar 07, 2011 at 08:17 AM It's also illegal Says:

To mark currency.
But hey it's the Palis, they never miss an opportunity to break the law.

I for one will not accept bills marked in this way. Join me on this one and help the Palis find one more way to screw up their own lives and cause.

Mar 07, 2011 at 08:50 AM Voice-of-Reason Says:

Isn't it illegal to deface currency?

Mar 07, 2011 at 09:24 AM qwertyuiop Says:

mtl514 Says:

Who wants to join me?

Great Idea!
But try using the bills in a 24 hour store, gas station, 7-11, taxi, etc.....

Mar 07, 2011 at 09:52 AM Anonymous Says:

The simplest way to stop this campaign dead in its tracks is to refuse to accept a defaced bill. That way the defacer will be badly out of pocket after a short time.

Mar 07, 2011 at 10:51 AM Law Says:

Here is the actual legal decision on money:
“Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.”

But writing a political slogan has almost no way of getting back to you as long as you dont do it in a public place. Dont put your business logo on it. But I wouldnt recommend it either way.

Mar 07, 2011 at 10:53 AM marcia Says:

There are soooo many social networking sites that promote the hate towards Jews, Israel and America. They crop up faster then trackers can monitor them, if you see or hear anything, report them to the site on which they are misusing the TOSThis is how to be proactive.

Mar 07, 2011 at 11:20 AM The-Macher Says:

You might be able to mark the white margins, the way I did when (lehavdil) I got dollars from the Lubavitcher Rebbe. Unfortunately my Rebbe dollars were stolen and did end up in circulation.