Manhattan, NY - Speaker Silver Bruised After Hitting A Pothole While Biking

Published on: November 14, 2011 06:08 PM

Photo illustrationManhattan, NY - Half of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver’s face is bruised and purple, and there are stiches over his left eyebrow and a scab across his nose and the back of one of his hands. Silver sustained the injuries while riding a bicycle when he hit a pothole and fell, according to a spokesman for the lower Manhattan Democrat.

“The speaker said to me he feels a lot better than he looks,” spokesman Michael Whyland said.

Despite the injuries, the 35-year-veteran legislator is keeping up with his normal schedule.¬†Whyland said Silver is in his New York City office today with a series of meetings scheduled, and that he’ll be in Washington tomorrow and in Albany and Utica later in the week.

Silver’s appearance was reported to me Friday evening by a source who saw the speaker.

Hartford, CT - Could somebody be carrying a $254 million lottery ticket and not even know it? Did they buy the ticket while passing through the state and forget about... Paris - French President Nicolas Sarkozy has written to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to reaffirm friendship despite what he refers to as their "differing...

Nov 14, 2011 at 06:14 PM Bezalel Says:

Refuah shleima. I bet that's one pothole that will be repaired quickly.

Nov 14, 2011 at 06:30 PM moshe1 Says:

Its the city's problem not the state as long the runway of mayor Bloomberg's jet is fine no pothole will be fixed.

Nov 14, 2011 at 06:41 PM shredready Says:

maybe he should be more attentive when he rides

to #1

maybe already fixed

Nov 14, 2011 at 06:46 PM realistic Says:

And when I got a flat tire after hitting a pothole no one spoke about it.
I'm not comparing getting physically injured to a flat tire. But I'm happy that this subject is being brought up and hopefully our politicians will realize how dangerous this is and make sure there are enough funds allocated to repair them.

Nov 14, 2011 at 06:56 PM ChipChipperson2 Says:

Why is a wealthy man like him riding a bike?

Nov 14, 2011 at 07:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Will the streets get fixed now?

Nov 14, 2011 at 07:01 PM harryw Says:

Bezalel Says:

Refuah shleima. I bet that's one pothole that will be repaired quickly.

You can bet on that. We should encourage him to cycle in williamsburgh, boro park and monsey as well. Will have new pavments in no time

Nov 14, 2011 at 07:20 PM bennyt Says:

Bloomie is supposed to make sure his beloved bike lanes are in tip top shape. He must have known that Silver uses that path.

Nov 14, 2011 at 07:25 PM NewYorker Says:

Spokesman for a speaker! Interesting.

Nov 14, 2011 at 07:46 PM hmmmm Says:

bennyt Says:

How true.

Nov 14, 2011 at 07:56 PM flatbushmm Says:

remember who was for the same-gender marriage?!

Nov 14, 2011 at 08:00 PM lawschooldrunk Says:

To #5, wealthy people can't have fun or enjoy the physical benefits of riding?

Nov 14, 2011 at 08:12 PM Anonymous Says:

I'm getting to the point where I'm a bit reluctant to ride my bike as much as I used to. I'm turning 60 and feel my balance just isn't what it used to be and these kinds of accidents worry me even more. I love biking and used to ride almost every weekend but have become considerably more risk averse. Am I the only one??

Nov 14, 2011 at 08:17 PM mewhoze Says:

some cyclists have told me that the bike lanes are dirty and in disrepair. and that is why they ride with the cars.

Nov 14, 2011 at 08:56 PM Anonymous Says:

Hopefully he will wake up and do tshuvah for embarrassing orthodox judaism by voting for gay marriage

Nov 14, 2011 at 09:21 PM Anonymous Says:

That's no excuse for him not showing up in Brooklyn to lend support for the fire bomkb victims.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Anonymous Says:

An hopefully you will do tshuvah for making such a nasty comment about an ehrliche yid who has done so much for yiddeshe mosdos. For such a comment, it is you who needs to do tshuvah, lest you find yourself suffering a much greater accident.

Nov 15, 2011 at 05:54 AM Anonymous Says:

Are YOU Hashem? How dare YOU threaten someone with Hashem's punishment? To me YOU are no better than the person YOU are criticizing.

Nov 15, 2011 at 07:39 AM Knockyankel Says:

ChipChipperson2 Says:

Why is a wealthy man like him riding a bike?

There is something called Exercise !No we don't know much about it !We rather sit on our -------- and post on VIN

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM mewhoze Says:

give it a break guys. this isnt a post that should make people fight. the man was biking and fell.
refuah shelaima to him. that should be the end of the comments.