Deptford, NJ - NJ Teacher Faces Sanctions In Alleged Verbal Abuse

Published on: November 18, 2011 01:30 PM
By: AP

illustrationDeptford, NJ - A New Jersey teacher faces discipline after being recorded telling a special-needs student that he was a “tard” and responding sarcastically to the student’s pleas not to be called “special.”

Superintendent Michael Dicken says the Gloucester County Special Services District board placed the teacher on paid leave Wednesday but will not say what discipline he faces.

The student’s parents told ABCNews.com, first to report the case, that their 15-year-old son had been bullied before. They urged him to use his cellphone to record video of the teacher.

In the video, the teacher tells the student: “You want me to call you normal, and you don’t even know what it is.”

The district didn’t identify

New York - Hundreds of Muslims prayed in lower Manhattan and planned a march on New York Police headquarters Friday to protest a decade of NYPD spying inside Muslim... Geneva - The Red Cross says it will step down from its role managing the work of a body dedicated to finding Holocaust victims. The group has a long history of...

Nov 18, 2011 at 02:09 PM Anonymous Says:

It is generally inappropriate to call a developmentally challenged child a "tard". The teacher demonstrated poor judgement.

Nov 18, 2011 at 02:34 PM from-here_to-there Says:

If true... they should publish the persons name and picture. this person should never be allowed to teach again!

Nov 18, 2011 at 03:00 PM Anonymous Says:

His name is Steven Roth. Not the musician.

Nov 18, 2011 at 03:02 PM Anonymous Says:

...who's David Lee Roth.

Nov 18, 2011 at 03:03 PM Anonymous Says:

Fox News identified the teacher as Steve Roth. He should be fired, forthwith! It is bad enough that students bully other students. However, teachers bullying students, especially special needs students, is a bunch of garbage. I saw the tape of the teacher harassing the student. He has used his position of authority to harass and intimidate someone who depends on him for guidance.

Nov 18, 2011 at 03:35 PM RachelJD Says:

well, I was flabbergasted when I heard a frum woman who was a teacher say "I teach special ed, you know, I have the stupid ones"

Nov 18, 2011 at 06:39 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

RachelJD Says:

Wow, that's heartbreaking that a teacher would talk about her kids w\special needs in that fashion!

My 4 year old daughter is Autistic, and she has the nicest teachers ever! We feel blessed that she's in such a great program! I cannot imagine how hurt I would be if I knew my daughter's teachers talked about her like that!

Teachers who despise their kids.... shouldn't be allowed in a classroom!

Nov 19, 2011 at 07:43 PM special ed parent Says:

RachelJD Says:

I hope teachers of special ed do not refer to their students as "the stupid ones". We should however be aware that even the nicest teachers sometimes let off tension by joking about their students with other teachers. This happens, it just should never be within earshot of parents or students.

Nov 19, 2011 at 07:37 PM Anonymous Says:

This Roth should be "disbarred" from teaching. And paying him to sit in the rubber room? Disgraceful. He gives teachers a bad name. Thank G-d most are nothing like him.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM Leon Zacharowicz MD Says:

Is our community free of such teachers and biases?
If not, what steps can we take to protect our children?

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:27 PM FredE Says:

You have to give credit to this young person for keeping his cool and just turning on his recording device. That really is brilliant. Many non-disabled people would not have the yishuv hadaat to do that. There is a lesson there.