Brooklyn, NY - Williamsburg Man Killed Crossing Street Shabbos Night

Published on: December 10, 2011 05:51 PM
By: VIN News

Brooklyn,, NY - A car driving through the streets of Williamsburg, Brooklyn Friday night, struck and killed a pedestrian who was crossing the intersection of Flushing Avenue and Bedford Avenue Approx. 8:50 PM. The 21-year-old driver of the Mitsubishi sedan remained on the scene.

According to two witnesses, the victim 62-year-old R’ Elimilech Wiess, was heavily bleeding from the impact of the collision.

Hatzolah volunteers transported Weiss about 9:00pm to Bellevue Hospital, where he was r"l pronounced dead.

The NYPD of the 90th Precinct and NYPD Highway are investigating this accident, no charges have been filed.

Queens, NY - A New York City lawyer has been suspended for six months for trying to get out of a speeding ticket by falsely claiming that a New Jersey trooper hurled an... New Haven CT - A jury condemned a Connecticut man to death Friday for killing a woman and her two daughters during a night of terror inside their suburban home...

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:01 PM Eli Says:

He wasn't killed by a car, he was killed by a *person* who hit him with a car. This habit people have of attributing deliberate action to cars and trucks implies a leniency on the responsibility of the driver.

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:16 PM GEULA Says:

Hashem Yishmor!!! BD"E. Is this the weiss from 253 Rutledge St.? (Klausenberg)???

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:41 PM jew Says:

BD"E...... what a lovely friendly godd tzadik he was!!! what a loss to all of us!!!

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:45 PM Bigboy Says:

Bde such sad news.

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:52 PM Dov77 Says:

Bd"e Will be remembered as a good and generous person who helped a close family member of mines in times of need!

Dec 10, 2011 at 06:58 PM hmmmm Says:

GEULA Says:

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:00 PM CHANA1 Says:

in keeping with ushmartem es nafshoseychem this tragedy should serve as a wake up call to require everyone dressed in black to wear reflectors on their person.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:12 PM fishzaft Says:

BD'E. I was on Scene Nebech. Seeing a pile of Blood. Hashem should give for the Family the right Chizuk.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:15 PM omglol Says:

BDE - he wasn't Crossing the Street, he was standing by the corner, and the car came fast and hit him.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:27 PM Truck driver Says:

Eli Says:

I dont know the story, but if the driver is not responsible then its the 'car' not the driver.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:31 PM smile2me Says:

Eli Says:

My apologizes but yes it is a car accident...... if the individual is not in the street they do not get knocked over.... unfortunately many people are not as careful as they ought when crossing streets... cars are just as dangerous to drive as they are to be near.... we each need to do our part to remain safe

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:34 PM monseygal Says:

BDE sad for the family, REFLECTOR REFLECTOR REFLECTOR I think its not being stressed enough in our community, I'm a driver and a walker, i dont wear reflecters , but when I was driving this week about 9pm and saw a man in black in front of my eyes it scared me.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:39 PM laibnlach Says:

GEULA Says:

Yes, he was a good man

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:42 PM JewishReporter Says:

GEULA Says:

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:43 PM Anonymous Says:

Eli Says:

Excuse me sir...but it isn't always the drivers fault when someone gets hit. Pedestrians don't "always" follow the rules of the road...this is not to say that I know what happened here..but for you to say the responsibility lies with the driver is also inaccurate.

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:45 PM Anonymous Says:

GEULA Says:

I did hear it was a Klausenburger... a jew ...vus a chilik ..a yid nebech
BDE

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:46 PM TimewillTell Says:

I was there on scene...2 cars were Racing and when one tried to cut out the other one then he hit this imshildiga Yid who has a beautiful family in Williamsburg ...lets hope will see justice here BDE

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:46 PM heisaneis Says:

omglol Says:

I heard from a hatzolah member that was on scene that he was crossing and car turned and hit him and he flow in to the windshield

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:48 PM Anonymous Says:

omglol Says:

Nebeh nebech...so we can see from here that even when we do nothing wrong ...when the time is up...it's up...Hashem Yeracheim

Dec 10, 2011 at 07:50 PM SomethingToSay Says:

omglol Says:

1) Then why wasn't the driver arrested?
2) the car and the person were about 50 feet into the street

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:21 PM BDE Says:

hmmmm Says:

is his name Pinchas elimelech

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:26 PM ITS_ME Says:

GEULA Says:

yes it is

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:17 PM Anonymous Says:

B"de what a loss!!!! hes was a great person he was a big askan. He helped lots of people very quietly. He did a lot for the Klausenberg kehilla & mosdos he was a farbrenter klausiberger chusid. should hashem give a lot of chizuk to his beautiful family ke"h

Dec 10, 2011 at 09:18 PM agree Says:

monseygal Says:

You took the words right out of mouth. Every time I drive at night, which is everyday, I feel like saying "hagomel chasadim tovim lamoi yisroel." People dress in black you can't see them until the last second. We stand in the street waiting for the light to change. Its so hard to see someone at the cornors at night when making a turn. I am also guilty of not wearing reflectors. For some reason in our community no one wants to be the first to do anything, Maybe its time to make a law if your not wearing a reflector and you ch"v get hit you can't file a claim against the driver.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:01 PM Anonymous Says:

bde. he was such a speical man, had a heart of gold. nebach mein zol nisht visen fin ken tzar.

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:00 PM Anonymous Says:

Nebech, a great Yid. From now on Yidden should either wear something reflective at night or STAY HOME.

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:33 AM goodboy Says:

BORUCH DAYAN EMMES what a great loss for klal yisruel

Dec 11, 2011 at 01:56 AM Queenbee Says:

TimewillTell Says:

I also heard this. Two cars were racing. One of them hit him.

What a loss of a great man!! BD"E. May his family and friends be comforted among the mourners of Tzion and Yerushalayim.

Dec 11, 2011 at 08:28 AM YJay1 Says:

BD"E

So tragic.

Dec 11, 2011 at 08:57 AM GEULA Says:

I can't look at this picture. We were neighbors. This is so heartbreaking. He was truly an Ish Chessed and a Samaech Bechelko. I think his face says a lot. He was the backbone of his beautiful family. He always walked in a quick pace and looked like he was gonna live till 120. So so so tragic that he went so quickly. BD"E.

Dec 11, 2011 at 09:05 AM geula Says:

WHAT CONFUSED PRIORITIES YOU PEOPLE HAVE. How dare you blame a niftar a day afterhis death; not even buried. There's so much good to say about a man like this. This wasn't an ordinary man albeite "williamsburgh chassidim" stressing the "vus a chilik, he's a yid (meaning not a satmar chassid but something else nevertheless ) since you can only be one type of chassid there. LETS STAY FOCUSED and just slightly look into this mans life and you'll realize that atleast before his burial there is so so much to say about him that will cause him to have an aliyas neshama. Instead of focusing or exposing our unprioritised/ secular mentality.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM policeman Says:

BD"E

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM anonymous Says:

Eli Says:

You are correct and saying car you eliminate or absolve the personal responsibility and the lack thereof is the cause of the death of a person

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM stop bantering about chasidus here Says:

As a neighbor, and yes a satmar chosid, I must say: this soul was more than just ordinary! The happy disposition seen on this picture is how I have seen him walk down the street, open his car, wherever he was, morning and night! I'm pretty new on the block and must say he is from the only ppl. I do know off my head!

Dec 11, 2011 at 04:51 PM Think before you write Says:

geula Says:

Please excuse me, but I am the person that wrote the comment about "vos a chilik"....and please forgive me for telling you that you may be projecting your own feelings onto this, but don't speak for me. On the contrary. I was just answering number2's question, asking specifically where the person lived and which family it was . My point was to say, what difference does it make....he is a jew and we should FEEL BAD FOR that...It doesn't matter if he was Klausenberg or Satmar. So here you come and distort my feelings. I grew up around the corner of the shul on Hooper St. and knew this family well. And guess what. I am Satmar, but thank Hashem, I grew up in a home where Klausenberg was not posul even at that time when the rivalry was terrible. when they threw eggs and my father could not bear it and taught us respect for all Tzaddikin. He knew the godlus of the K. Rebbe even though he learned by the Satmar Rebbe in Europe. So don't go projecting things...and don't be negative before you even know what the person means. You owe me an apology even if you don't know me. It hurts so to have words misinterpreted. It's amazing how you came to your own conclusions.
If you learn, I'll forgive

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:35 PM gefiltafish Says:

bde its a very sad story,
im a car service driver in williamsburg i drive day and night in willy, i can only say one thing its nisem that so many people stay alive every day! reboina shell oilem... mothers with carriages walk in the street while its dont walk talking on the cell phone and dont even look if a car is coming... its scary how many times ive almost knocked off people, yidisha mommy: you have to understand 1 thing, when a car drives down bedford ave on 40mph and you walk in, in middle of the block in front of a park bus or double parked truck, (besides the fact that you first push out the carriage before you check if a car is coming) the driver will see you only the last second, and hopfully avoid hitting you, leaving the driver with his heart beating to the max for the next 20 min.
when a car makes a turn, he has to yield for pedestrians that are on the cross walk (which for them is walk at the time) but that doesnt mean that you dont have to look if a car is coming or not! ALWAYS when crossing make sure the driver sees you, even if its your right of way!! dont be right, be smart! i hope people will start doing something after these 2 stories latety. hashem yerachem!

Dec 12, 2011 at 07:40 AM GEULA Says:

to #35
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. And I realize that you perhaps did mean to be positive here. But I can't help but feel that albeit you mention how your family respects klausenberg etc. etc. etc. I don't believe it. I'm neither satmar , nor klausenberg but I grew up in that "Ir Hanidachat". The intolerance for anyone that is not Satmar is palpable in the air. Even if you may have united with them on some stances such as the eiruv I still believe that your compassion and sympathy is for the ocurrance and tragedy that happens (which should be a compliment for you too) and not because you love the man or where he comes from. The poison that was instilled in the minds of students and chassidim belonging to your chassidus is something that sticks for generations. Like I've once heard someone saying: "It's not a chassidus, it's a mentality" . No matter if the small things are or aren't with you anymore; wether your wearing peyos, a beard or a black hat or if you remained the way you were brought up; you become victims of a system that is almost impossible to alter or erase. Seeing what went on in that city from an outside point of view; not belonging to any of you I cansay it al