New York - Ami Magazine Apologizes For Picture Of White House Draped In Nazi Flags

Published on: January 14, 2012 07:58 PM

Ami cover this weekNew York - The editor of Ami Magazine acknowledged today that the front page of this week’s issue depicting the White House draped in Nazi flags with Nazi storm troopers marching in front “may have been a poor choice.”

“The swastika is the present day symbol of Nazism and we did it to make a journalistic statement about the spread of neo-Nazism,” explained Rabbi Yitzchak Frankfurter, the magazine’s publisher and editor-in-chief. “The White House was used as a symbol of the U.S. and not to suggest anything about the present administration or its occupants.”

The magazine, which is not affiliated with any organization, is published each Wednesday in New York and Israel. It is aimed at the cross spectrum of Orthodox Jews ranging from the modern Orthodox to the heredi or fervently Orthodox.

Although this week’s cover generated some complaints “I would not call it a storm,” Rabbi Frankfurter said.

Full story at The Jewish week

Ramapo, NY - The vandalism of synagogues and firebombing of a rabbi's house in nearby Bergen County, N.J., have people in Rockland's large Jewish community on... New York - A Malaysian company's plan to build a $4 billion convention center and big-time casino on the outskirts of New York City could be the biggest shot fired yet...

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:13 PM JerryB Says:

Vus tit men nisht far attention

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:13 PM me-myself-my-shadow-and-I Says:

I think that an even worse choice of headline in this weeks Ami magazine was comparing this GESTETNER to Rush Limbaugh. it was childish, out of class and tasteless. clearly a paid article.

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:12 PM mark meyer appel Says:

a apology must always be accepted However in a recent issue of ami magazine Rabbi Shafrin posted a nazi propganda picture in a editorial about advocates who are working on behalf of abused children. i hope rabbi shafrin apoligizes as well for that picture

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:31 PM Mishpacha Says:

me-myself-my-shadow-and-I Says:

the article about YOSSI GESTETNER is stupid and tasteless "even" for a paid article.

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:13 PM brooklynjew Says:

Even now they don't get it!
Its not only about an apology to the current administration, the nazi swastika is not something that should be used altogether, Or at a minimum!
Not to mention most readers have it lying around on couches, shabbos tables,all shabbos, its tasteless and despicable...
It just doesn't feel right to say the least to have a magazine who articles are a mix of news, hashkufeh etc. to have such a disgusting portrait display on its cover...
On to my next point...the magazine will print childish or cheap write ups such as this weeks rush limbuagh's comparison very often, please give us a break! This yungerman is probably a teierer yungerman and following a carrier he chose, but ami being a stand up magazine to many stand up families should choose carefully whether it wants to be taken serious or take on the roll of a tabloid...

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:07 PM Anonymous Says:

a magazune that claims to be honest but has a hidden agenda in every article. covers for every rebbe (under claim of respect to rabonim) to gain some readers

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:39 PM yossnech Says:

I think it should be blatantly obvious that no self respecting Jew should be using Nazi imagery at all. Period. There has to be ways to make a point, and dramatic one if necessary without using Nazi imagery. (Unless it's a book about the Holocaust etc).

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:34 PM shalomke Says:

Ami strikes me as an English mouthpiece for Satmar and it's ideology. They regularly feature Satmar in their headlines and have a weekly Satmar "Hashkafah" column by the principle of Satmar's girl school.

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:25 PM R U NUTS!!!! Says:

This US is the land of kindness and accepted Jews and all denominatios after the worst of tragedies. The freedom of religion and speech (that allows you to print such drivel) is a basis of this country. To slap it in the face with such disrespect is inappropiate in the least and after having mad the mistake in the past of buying AMI I shall never do so again.

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:24 PM JerryB Says:

me-myself-my-shadow-and-I Says:

Ditto!! Couldn't agree more!

Jan 14, 2012 at 08:22 PM ffopinion Says:

I think Ami should send Ezra Friedlandeer as a messenger to President Obama to apoligise to President Obama--this cover story was in very poor choice!

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:54 PM Anonymous Says:

john luftos conspiracy articles. give me a break! a childish magazine.

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:56 PM GROCERY store Says:

I was so ashamed with the Ami this week and also scared that my Non Jewish employees should see this cover, that I put it face down on the magazine rack.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM BROOKLYN logic Says:

I think that what the Ami will do next will be a major write up of the Skulener Rebbe, then a week later of a Lakewood Rosh Yeshiva and the עולם גולם will pretty soon forget the nonsense they did this week. we all have our own headaches and we don't really carry around in our heads what the Ami did or didn't write.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM Boris Bengenya Says:

I find this photo published by Rabbi Frankfurter as disgusting and vile as the scene in Israel where the zealots also used uniforms for their own agenda.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:09 PM Liepa Says:

poor choice of cover, apology or not.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM BP Store Owner Says:

As a store owner I personally can tell you this story. An elderly lady walked into my store, and she starting screaming in Hungarian half Yiddish, till I realized what she's talking about,she was all teary eyed and told me if I don't take the Ami off the shelf she'll never walk in my store again! Etc. She was so right such a symbol on a cover is worse than the a Tzelem on cover. BY THE WAY I'm really considering taking it off the shelf for good, even though I sell some 70 copies a week. SHAME!!

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Crazykanoiy Says:

If Rabbi Frankurter is sorry why is the picture still on there website?

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM satmer jew Says:

shalomke Says:

Ami is NOT representing anyone of Satmar. Not the current true Satmar people and Not the Hashkafah of the Great Satmarer Rebe, Reb Yoilish Z"L.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM Anonymous Says:

My husband bought the magazine as a Shabbos treat for me to read but I never got a chance to open it before Shabbos & read it. Now I see the cover I'm shocked. It's absolutely inappropriate, notwithstanding I am a Tea Party member & a staunch conservative. However, I WILL read it because I compile statistics on bias crimes for preparation of Homeland Security applications and there may be information I can use for my clients.

Ami should print a very clear & prominent retraction & apology next week. If not, they will lose many readers, with good cause. No matter my feelings toward President Obama & his policies, this is way beyond the pale. Don't they have an Editorial Board? Don't they THINK?? I'm sure there are many people like the lady described in comment #18 who are cowering in fear & are very distressed after seeing that cover.

PS Thanks, VIN, for alerting us to bias attacks. The number & ferocity in 2011 were pretty bad, but I fear 2012 will be worse.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM UseYourHead Says:

This is far beyond the pale! I never subscribed to Ami and now I'm confident I made the right choice. How could anyone publish something so utterly tasteless, offensive, misleading, and downright untrue? On the front cover, no less! And with all due respect to the publisher, the obviously half-hearted apologies are hardly sufficient.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM bigwheeel Says:

Displaying the nazi paraphernalia on the cover is as abhorring (if not worse) as that charade in Mea Shearim two weeks ago. All it accomplished is drag down the reputation of AMI magazine to that of Star or the Enquirer. (If they still exist.).

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM chussid Says:

for some reason it doesnt look as a yiddish magazine to begin with. This weeks article how many people beleive praying helps.and even the ami for kids is kinda not suitable for kids. If u check out the article of shear success by eli katz also really not appropriate for kids. A article who could kill more jews.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM shocked Says:

Wouldn't we, as well as the AMI staff, be horrified if the NAACP magazine showed a picture of the White House draped in the Israeli flag? Yet this is MUCH worse!

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM Ami Needs A Shakeup Says:

I also buy Ami. On several occasions, I wrote a letter to the editor for some of their reporting/opinion articles which were very unfair and biased. Not even an acknowledgement of its receipt, nothing.

I do believe that Ami, if not the mouthpiece of Satmar and Brisk, is a close to being that. For those groups, there is nothing but reverence. If you read and believe Ami, the only reason there is Judaism in the US today is because of Satmar. Also, they pay lip service to other groups by superficially covering them; yet the coverage is so superficial it is utterly meaningless.

I would not be posting this had Ami allowed for a free and open exchange of ideas, even those critical to its magazines. I feel that this magazines likes to "dance at all the chasunahs" but really is only dancing to Satmar's tune.

Also, their kids magazine is questionable at best, and their ladies issues are filled with medical scares and depressing stories.

Maybe this incident will cause them to shape up. Their wanton use of Nazi symbols is similar to the flippant use by their good friends in Satmar and the NK. Very disappointing, indeed.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM FALLSBURGER Says:

shalomke Says:

You couldn't be more wrong!!!
AMI is Not in anyway shape or form representing SATMAR.
Rabbi Hertz Frankel is not a Satmar Chussid by his own admission, he is merely a long time employee of the Satmar school system , his hashkufa is in most part unacceptable by 90% of the Satmar chassidim.

when the anti torah violent Israeli Policemen bent on eradicating the original Jews from Jerusalem were compared to Nazis in Meah Shearim, AMI condemned it vehemently

A Week later AMI had the unbelievable chutzpah to portray the USA as Nazis ?!?!
The USA, which is BH the safest place on the planet for Jews nowadays, are Nazis ?!?!
Shame on AMI & Shame on the self righteous "Rabbi" Frankfurter

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM mishpacha Says:

I hope they come out with a full page apology

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:43 AM Respect Says:

This is appalling and disgusting. I will no longer allow this magazine into my home, and I will be sure to discuss this issue with neighbors. An apology should not have the words "may have been a poor choice." This isn't owning up to the problem.

ESPECIALLY considering the sensitivity with this imagery at the moment in EY, this was beyond a poor editorial decision and shows a total lack of responsibility and maturity. Free speech is a responsibility.

And after hearing this publisher on the Zev Brenner show, I'm concerned about the broader impact this editorial is having on the frum community.

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:44 AM Mutty Says:

Satmar magazine or not! Editor is a Satmar graduate whether you like it or not!

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:45 AM musthavegum Says:

i stopped buying the ami magazine after there 5th edition its of a very poor journelistic quality,,, its a agenda motivated publication ,,

Jan 15, 2012 at 02:10 AM yaakov321 Says:

It is essential that we open a book on the holocaust every here and there and see the world for what was done to the world.

Jan 15, 2012 at 05:59 AM Watchurmouth Says:

Reply to everyone. Where do you all get the heter to post out right lashon hora!?? If someone appologizes for something they did , you either can except, or not. No where does it say that if your upset at someone you gave a right to say whatever comes to your head about the person. For all you out there worrying about how OTHER people should act, worry about how you yourself are going to ask mechilla from everyone out there that read your lashon hora.

Next time before you comment on an article, THINK is this something important to post or you just sound like some bored fellow out there!!

Jan 15, 2012 at 06:42 AM Fetzel Says:

I used to buy the AMI occasionaly, and it was always apparent how the editors try to push their own agenda down their readership's collective throat. After seeing the distasteful cover this week (including the ridiculous comparison of that Gestetner guy to Limbaugh), I'm happy to say that I won't (bl"n) be buying it again.

Jan 15, 2012 at 06:48 AM Anon Says:

shalomke Says:

And your point is?

Jan 15, 2012 at 07:31 AM qazxc Says:

Chas Veshalom!

Al tiftach peh lasotan.

Jan 15, 2012 at 08:45 AM SherryTheNoahide Says:

"The editor of Ami Magazine acknowledged today that the front page of this week’s issue depicting the White House draped in Nazi flags with Nazi storm troopers marching in front 'may have been a poor choice'.”

Yeah, um... you think?!?! [:-P

And who here believes this wasn't ALSO a thinly veiled reference to our President & his Administration as well, despite their insistence that's not true?!

Gee, I somehow seriously doubt AMI would have EVER put a cover on their magazine like that back in the Bush Years! Please!

I'm actually in agreement w\AMI magazine that anti-semitism is most definitely on the rise in all major countries! Of course it is! There's no denying that!

But to use our White House as the backdrop to make that point is disgusting! How dare they?!

They want to compare our gov't to Nazi Germany?!?!

Yes, because Barack Obama is responsible for the death of more than 6 million Jews too, didn't you all know?! So of course the thinly veiled references make sense & are justified!

Ugh... I feel sick to my stomach. When will this craziness end?! Something like this just completely delegitimizes all of the REAL anti-semitism going on in the world!

Jan 15, 2012 at 09:10 AM elireb Says:

THIS is a wake up call for Ami & its editors. Get rid of your arrogance and bias.

Jan 15, 2012 at 09:27 AM Anonymous Says:

Sherry, the truth is, anti-semitism IS on the rise & in a great part it is in direct correlation to government "policies" & the mood of the country. True, Bernie Madoff & his ilk definitely played a part, like it or not, but essentially Obama's obvious anti-Israel & SEEMINGLY anti-Jewish attitudes plays a very large part. Like I said, I compile the data & I definitely see a pattern. FBI expert I'm not (LOL) but the pattern is there.

When Jews (or any minority group) feel "safe" under the government's "protection", there are fewer attacks. So use your common sense, be open-minded, & compare President Bush's POLICIES towards Israel, which most equate to JEWS, with those of the current administration.. There was never a need for this kind of article, inflammatory or not, under his watch.

#21

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM bigwheeel Says:

#21

No. I definitely agree with Sherry's point. This was a piece of demagoguery, with a gratuitous smack at the current occupants of the White House. Namely the President. It clearly shows a lack of intelligence on the part of the editor and publisher. It speaks of narrow-mindedness and a lack of independent thinking. It is a magazine that uses hyperbole instead of tackling controversial issues in an intelligent, thought-provoking manner.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

#21

Utter nonsense!

No offense, but Obama's policies have NOT CHANGED from what every single previous President before him had already set up regarding our friendship w\Israel, not to mention if anything, Obama has now ramped up efforts to help Israel defend herself like never before, he vetoed the Palestinian's bid for statehood at the UN - move that cost him a lot of international popularity, but was the right call to make regardless - and has been the driving force behind all of the successful foreign policy missions that have captured and\or killed Arab militants, most notably of course, Osama Bin Laden!

And don't give me that garbage that the only reason we caught Bin Laden was because of Bush's policies! Baloney! If everything was running smoothly & like a tight ship back in Bush's terms in office... Bin Laden WOULD HAVE BEEN CAPTURED UNDER BUSH'S WATCH.

But Bush ignored Pakistan & their obvious lack of interest in hunting down Bin Laden & towards the end of his Presidency, had all but given up even looking for him! Not to mention, he was so buddy-buddy w\Musharraff, he couldn't see the forest for the trees!

Only 20mo after Obama gets inaugurated... Bin Laden was DEAD.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM SherryTheNoahide Says:

#21

(con't) So again, Anonymous, what policies of Barack Obama's towards Israel deserve the kind of treatment he has gotten from people like you? Or racists calling him a secret Muslim? Or a "Loudmouthed Tribesman"? (A name Newt Gingrich once called him.)

What has our President done, to deserve to be so disrespected like this?! His wife gets treated poorly too, even though she doesn't have really anything to do w\what decisions her husband makes on foreign policy! Come on!

And now AMI dresses up the White House in Nazi regalia...

And you have NOTHING to say about that?! You just want to come on here & make excuses for it, and act like Obama "deserves" to be treated like this, or our White House "deserves" to be dressed up in this fashion?!

No way! Say whatever you want about Obama's policies that you don't like... that's fine w\me! We've all been having an honest debate on here about his policies, no?

But even the most conservative people here on VIN, have spoken out about this AMI magazine cover, because even THEY know this is wrong, this is immoral, it is undeserved, reprehensible & down right offensive to victims of the Shoah!

This "Obama-derangement Syndrome" is crazy!

Jan 15, 2012 at 03:58 PM ardanal Says:

No matter what Ami was trying do depict with this article, to display Nazi symbols on the White House is totally irresponsible and blatantly inappropriate. By displaying this ugly symbol on the White House which bacically represents the US, it is very easily assumable that Ami is saying that the US is antisemitic, and one may also assume that Ami is referring to the residence of the White House as well.
The US has been a safe haven for the Jewish people for ages and is the best friend that Israel can ever have. To disparage this country and its President as anti-semitic even in a remote fashion is totally unwise untrue and inappropriate. Again, if it may be misconstrude with whatever Ami is trying to depict in its article, such as the theme of anti-semitism in the US. And yes, they didnt mean to do this as Ami has said
Secondly there are too many holocaust survivors to whom displaying this symbol will always be very painful to look at. Therefore no Jewish periodicle should ever display this symbol in any article, it belongs in history books only.

Jan 15, 2012 at 05:57 PM Anonymous Says:

ardanal Says:

the cover picture WAS DESPICABLE AND NAUSEATING and my reaction is shared by anyone i discuss it with SHAME SHAME who knows if g-d forbid such craziness wont incite people against out

Jan 15, 2012 at 08:12 PM amish Says:

No appology can rectify the consequences this cover page may have caused! It's to proof that most articles in most of the previous issues always had inappropriate things mentioned. But this was the makka bepatish. Why? Because this affected every human with a right mind! But, why when previous issues conveyed such wrong messages, mamesh hair rising and exagerated belonies, why wasn't there any cry out then? Again, when there are wrong intentions to begin with, it just gets worse and worse, till even a blind person can see it!

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM Butterfly Says:

It was senseless to print such a cover!! Too much of my family perished in the Shoah and the reminders are very painful. To print like this is a disgrace to the Jewish community at large!!